How Much is Trig Used in Maths Outside of Calculus?

In summary, trigonometry is used and needed a lot. It is one of the most beautiful and important subjects of mathematics and science. It's a very ancient piece of mathematics, but very important.
SF49erfan
My trig. is so-so (I honestly hated it) and just curious how much it's used and needed in other maths? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an Undergrad, here are the math courses I've taken:

Diff EQ - Used trig nonstop
Linear Algebra - not much trig, only once we got to transforms (rotations)
Vector Cal - lots of trig

It is used and needed a lot. Of all the pre-calculus topics, trig is the most important one.

SF49erfan said:
I honestly hated it
You really need to change that.

Somebody who hates trig either:
1) Didn't understand it
2) Had a bad teacher/class
Trigonometry is one of the most beautiful subjects of mathematics and science. It's a very ancient piece of mathematics, but very important. I think I'd like to call it one of the major achievements of scientists. Seriously, if you see everything you can do with trig and all the application it has, it is hard not to be impressed.

Likes Student100, pmr and ShayanJ
Very much both IN mathematics and in other fields which rely on mathematics. Optics is one part of science and technology in which Trigonometry is extensively in action.

What a student really hates is restricted time in which to earn a grade, and the effort to relearn and maintain the concepts and skills while trying to learn more... also for a grade under another time constraint.

SF49erfan said:
My trig. is so-so (I honestly hated it) and just curious how much it's used and needed in other maths? Thanks.

Should make it a habit to get good at the things you enjoy least, both in the workplace and in adademia.

I didn't LIKE trig but it's certainly useful. I really wish I'd just memorized all the identities back in high school (/taken IB HL maths instead of goddamned maths studies) so I wouldn't have to stop and look them up every 5 seconds.

Anyway, it's ubiquitous. Same as algebra, it's just a fundamental thing that comes up constantly, you don't really think of it as "trigonometry" as a separate subject or thing, it's just part of solving various problems. Plus most of the time it makes things easier to solve anyway if they're based off periodic functions and stuff, or to represent complex things in the trig form (forget what it's actually called).

That said, how much of it is triangles vs periodic functions varies. Generally it's not so much the geometric stuff as it is the functions that crop up constantly (although sometimes the former does show up depending on the problems).

1. How is trigonometry used in real-world applications?

Trigonometry is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It is used to calculate distances and heights, analyze angles and forces, and model periodic phenomena.

2. Is trigonometry used in everyday life?

Yes, trigonometry is used in everyday life in various ways. For example, it is used in construction to determine the length of a diagonal or the height of a building. It is also used in sports such as golf and baseball to calculate the trajectory of a ball.

3. How important is trigonometry in higher-level math courses?

Trigonometry is a fundamental part of higher-level math courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is used to solve complex equations and analyze functions.

4. Can trigonometry be useful for non-mathematical careers?

Yes, trigonometry can be useful for careers that involve problem-solving and data analysis, such as architecture, surveying, and computer graphics. It can also be useful for understanding and interpreting scientific data.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of trigonometry to succeed in higher education?

While a strong understanding of trigonometry is not always necessary, it is highly recommended for success in higher education. Many fields require knowledge of trigonometry, and it serves as a foundation for other mathematical concepts.