How much knowledge do I need in Math

In summary, the person is starting grade 10 and wants to become a doctor, but is struggling with math. They excel in other courses and are wondering if it is acceptable to have lower grades in math. However, it is important to do well in math as it is cumulative and will affect grades in college. Being a doctor may not require a lot of math, but it is necessary for undergraduate studies and medical school. Some specialties, like radiology, may require more math skills. Seeking tutoring now can help improve math grades and set a strong foundation for future studies.
Kai The Guy
I am starting grade 10, and want to become a doctor of some sort. But I admit, I am a little dodgy in math (Around 75%). In my other coarses, I excel at like Science, Socials, and French. But have never really grown a talent for math. So my question, Should I have better grades in math, or is it acceptable? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kai The Guy said:
I am starting grade 10, and want to become a doctor of some sort. But I admit, I am a little dodgy in math (Around 75%). In my other coarses, I excel at like Science, Socials, and French. But have never really grown a talent for math. So my question, Should I have better grades in math, or is it acceptable? Thanks :)

You should definitely attempt to do better. Math is cumulative, so your grades now will have an effect on your grades in college level math courses. Being a doctor isn't very math heavy- as far as actually practicing medicine (MD) goes. You will be expected to do well, however, and take quite a bit of math for your undergraduate; medical school is very competitive so it's in your best interest to seek tutoring now.

Yes, you probably should, as like Student100 said above, faulty foundations will ruin you in college.

From what my premed friends tell me, you will want to, at the very least, be able to master basic differential and integral calculus so you can get better scores in your physics classes and your MCAT. Of course, depending your major, the amount of math you will learn will vary wildly: for example, a person majoring in physics will probably need a lot more math than the average premed.

As for how much math doctors actually use on the job, I am not sure. I hear radiologists need to know a fair bit of math and physics, but it would probably be better if somebody with more experience with this chimes in.

Likes Student100

1. How important is math knowledge in science?

Math is an essential tool in science, as it allows us to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and understand complex concepts. Without a strong foundation in math, it is difficult to fully comprehend and apply scientific principles and theories.

2. Do I need to be good at math to be a successful scientist?

While having a strong understanding of math can certainly be beneficial in the field of science, it is not the only factor that determines success. Other important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity also play a crucial role in scientific research and discovery.

3. Can I still pursue a career in science even if I struggle with math?

Yes, you can still have a successful career in science even if math is not your strongest subject. There are many different branches of science that may require varying levels of math, so it is important to find a field that aligns with your strengths and interests.

4. How can I improve my math skills for science?

Practice and persistence are key when it comes to improving math skills for science. It is also helpful to seek out resources such as tutors, online tutorials, or study groups to gain a better understanding of difficult concepts.

5. Is there a specific level of math that I need to know for science?

The level of math required for science can vary depending on the specific field and research being conducted. However, a solid understanding of basic math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and statistics is generally necessary for most scientific disciplines.