How much methane is produced from 1 kg of typical organic waste?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Methane Organic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Stephanus
Messages
1,316
Reaction score
104
Dear PF Forum,
Next month there will be an environment activist gathering in my church. I want to introduce to them one of the benefits of organic waste. It's methane production.
Organic waste will produce methane, and in turn it is the source of energy.
What I want to know is how much methane approximately is produced by 1 kg typical organic waste from the kitchen waste.
I have searched in http://bionumbers.hms.harvard.edu/, but still I haven't found the number.
Do anybody know, roughly how many grams methane can we gain from 1 kg typical organic waste?
I would be grateful if I can find the answer.
So I can persuade my neighborhood the benefit of processing organic waste.

Of course it wouldn't be that easy. We still need engineering solution to capture and store the gas, but at last I can explain that the theory is real.

Thank you very much.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Methane emission from landfills has been a concern because methane is a very powerful greenhouse gas. You might be able to poke around to see if anyone has done the research in the context of landfill gas. Here are some potential starting points:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_gas
http://www3.epa.gov/lmop/basic-info/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephanus