How Much Natural Gas Is Needed to Heat a House to 28°C?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
blue88
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
The average thermal conductivity of the walls (including windows) and roof of a house in Figure P11.32 is 4.8 10-4 kW/m°C, and their average thickness is 20.0 cm. The house is heated with natural gas, with a heat of combustion (energy given off per cubic meter of gas burned) of 9300 kcal/m3. How many cubic meters of gas must be burned each day to maintain an inside temperature of 28.0°C if the outside temperature is 0.0°C? Disregard radiation and loss by heat through the ground.

The house's dimensions are 10.0m x 8.0m x 5.0m


I tried this problem, and I keep getting the answer completely wrong... if anyone could show me how to do this one, that would be awesome.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? We can only help you if you tell us what you've done up to this point.
 
I did P=(4.8E-4)(.2)(28)

P= 2.688W


Q=Pnet(t)
Q=(2.688)(86400)
Q= 232243.2 J of heat


but i don't think that I am even starting it right.
 
Why did you multiply the thermal conductivity by length when computing the emitted power? How do you use the thermal conductivity to calculate the heat flux through a surface of area A and thickness L with a temperature difference [tex]\Delta T[/tex]?