1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The First Law of Thermodynamics

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The average thermal conductivity of the walls (including the windows) and roof of a house is 0.480 W/m · °C, and their average thickness is 24.7 cm. The house is heated with natural gas having a heat of combustion (that is, the energy provided per cubic meter of gas burned) of 9 300 kcal/m3. How many cubic meters of gas must be burned each day to maintain an inside temperature of 23.5°C if the outside temperature is 0.0°C? Disregard radiation and the energy lost by heat through the ground.

the Side walls are 5m x 8 m and the front and back walls are 5m x 10 m respectively. The roof has an incline of 37 degrees between the roof and the side of the house.

2. Relevant equations
    rate of heat transfer P = (k(thermal conductivity)A ΔT)/Δx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the rate of heat transfer for the house. side wall, front wall and the roof and I added them up. then I found how many total joules were transferred for the day as this give me Joules/ sec. After I got this I converted it into cal by multiplying it by .239 and then kcal. finally I divided the total amount of kcal by the 9300 kcal/m3 given. I just want to know if im on the right track or am I way off? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's the right procedure. For the first step, I would have just added the areas rather than calculating the rates separately then adding them up. Can't check the details without seeing your working.

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook