How Much Power is Lost in a Copper Wire in a Series Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
chawki
Messages
504
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 200m long copper wire, with cross section area of 1.5mm2, is connected with a 10Ω resistor in a series circuit, and the supply voltage is 50V.


Homework Equations


Find the power loss in the copper wire, when ρ=0.0175 Ωmm2/m


The Attempt at a Solution


R=*L/A
P=V2/R
P=502/(0.0175*(200/1.5))
P=1068.37 Watt.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
chawki said:

Homework Statement


A 200m long copper wire, with cross section area of 1.5mm2, is connected with a 10Ω resistor in a series circuit, and the supply voltage is 50V.


Homework Equations


Find the power loss in the copper wire, when ρ=0.0175 Ωmm2/m


The Attempt at a Solution


R=*L/A
P=V2/R
P=502/(0.0175*(200/1.5))
P=1068.37 Watt.

The voltage supply is across the wire AND the resistor (they are in series), not just the wire.
 
yeah i think i made a mistake :/ but we don't have I
 
chawki said:
yeah i think i made a mistake :/ but we don't have I
Then you need to find out what the current, I, is.

What is the resistance of the copper wire?
 
I=50/2.34=21.36Amperes

P=2.34*(21.36)2
P=1067.62 watt

somehow it looks the same answer as the one posted in post #1
 
chawki said:
I=50/2.34=21.36Amperes

P=2.34*(21.36)2
P=1067.62 watt

somehow it looks the same answer as the one posted in post #1

You still haven't accounted for the 10 Ω resistance that's in series with the wire.

Also, your wire resistance should be 2.333 Ω to three decimals, not 2.34; I know it's being picky, but early rounding of intermediate results can muck up final results when there are multiple steps. It's good to get into the habit of keeping a few extra digits of accuracy in intermediate results, and round final results.