Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much pressure can be created by the decomposition of Hydrogen peroxide?

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    We are a simple robotics group working in Antarctica. We have a small but nimble ROV that we launch through a hole we drill in the ice. We need to lift heavy objects off the sea floor. I want to use the decomposition of H2O2 to initiate a state change that creates the buoyancy to lift these items to the surface.

The questions are:

How much pressure can be created by the decomposition of Hydrogen peroxide? This will determine the maximum depth the method will be effective at.

Will typical sea water be sufficient to catalyze the reaction?

Thank you in advance for your comments. If you Youtube the word "SCINI" you can get some video of our device in action.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

I'd say "as much as you could possibly need". It's an exothermic chemical reaction, which means that you would need a huge pressure to reverse it.

If water's present (which you imply) you might lose some due to oxygen being dissolved into the water as pressure increases. That's probably a larger effect, but probably not that large.

I don't see how anything in seawater would catalyze the decomposition though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook