1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much should I remember from general physics?

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    I took the usual general physics classes about 4 years ago during my chemistry undergrad career. Now, I'm taking some more physics classes in order to go to grad school for physics.

I'm going to be taking intermediate E&M and Mechanics. Will I have a hard time in these classes if I don't remember much from the general physics classes? I am reviewing some of the material, but I won't have time to finish it all before the classes start, and I'm worried that I will do poorly.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2009 #2
    Honestly, if You're jumping into E&M and Mechanics, you might want to brush up on your math. What's your highest math? Are you comfortable with math? If you're at least to (3D calc)/(Vector Calc) and some differential equations, you should be good.

If you felt that your intro-physics was satisfactory, I would concentrate on working some problems. Much of what is important in physics is the reality-math link that only comes with working problems.

On the other hand, if you have difficulty describing the concepts that you learned in intro physics to a friend, I would start with concepts.

4. Dec 25, 2009 #3
    I've taken Calc I-III, Linear Alg, and Diff. Equations. I have been and will be reviewing some of the material from those classes too. I think our class has a short review on some of the math topics too. So that should help.

5. Dec 25, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should get very cozy and comfortable with multivariate calculus. Especially for E&M, you'll need vector calculus - div, grad, curl and all that. In fact, a great reference is a short book called https://www.amazon.com/Div-Grad-Curl-All-That/dp/0393969975".

Oh, and review a bit about coordinate systems other than Cartesian (polar, e.g.).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook