1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Studying How much time should I study?

1. Aug 19, 2018 #1

Felipe Lincoln

Gold Member

I'm having trouble in studying. I am studying full time from Monday to Monday but I just cannot get focused all the time, I realized that more than half of the time I'm sleepy or struggling to maintain my focus. I'm doing my degree in physics and I feel like I need to study full time, but I just can't do it, what should I do?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2018 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

While it's a general rule that the more time you spend studying the better you do, this has its limits. Really, you want quality, focused study time where you're actively learning and engaged with problem sets. Time spent mindlessly staring at a textbook is really not much better than time spent doing something completely different.

Some general tips to help you stay focused, in no particular order...
    1. Take breaks. Just like an athlete can't sustain maximum performance for an indefinite time, you can't expect to do that either. Allow your mind some time to relax.
    2. Take the time to remind yourself why you love what you're studying. This means spending some time on stuff that you find interesting outside of assigned material. It's a lot easier to maintain your motivation if you're feeding that curious part of your mind, rather than trying to lock it up while you're concentrating only on assigned material.
    3. Be sure you're getting good sleep.
    4. Be sure you're eating properly.
    5. Be sure you're getting adequate exercise.
    6. Set SMART goals for yourself (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-constrained). Sitting down just to 'study' can be almost impossible because you don't have any way of measuring whether you're making progress. May sure to plan your study time, establish goals, and if necessary, break those into smaller goals. Even if you're not meeting them, at least you have a means of knowing where you're at in relation to where you'd like to be.
    7. Control your study environment (to the extent that you can). Try limit distractions and organize your study space.
    8. Mix up your approach to your studies. If something's not working for you, try something new. Consider joining a study group. Or instead of just reviewing notes on a particular topic, try to create a presentation on it. If your pencil and paper approach to problem solving isn't working, try writing some code to solve the problem.
    9. Be proactive about asking for help when you need it. There are no awards for doing everything yourself.

4. Aug 19, 2018 #3

Felipe Lincoln

Gold Member

1) I downloaded a app called Go For It!, it helps me to manage tasks and have a timer to complete each task, I already listed all I have to do in little chunks and I'll see how will it work. Thanks for the advice.

*2) This seems to be good to keep my motivation. Do you suggest to do things that doesn't requires a lot of effort here or not necessary? Should I be doing something like reading an article or watching a video?

3, 4, 5) They all got a time in my daily routine =)

6) The same app I mentioned in the item 1 will do this, I have already listed about 30 things that I pretend to do in 30 minutes each, things like reading a piece of a chapter from the textbook, do exercises 2 and 4, things like that. It was a excellent advice too, I already feel more motivated to tackle each of these tasks.

*7) I have a very nice and quiet place at the library in the university. But distractions I have to struggle a bit to take it off of my routine, have you any advice? I'm afraid of when I take the breaks in my studies sections I'll get engaged to something in the internet and spend more time than I should.

*8) This is a good advice but could be a bit tricky. I have troubles in doing things out of the standard, it will surely takes me more time than it should. I'll think of what I could do..

9) Ok.

Things that are marked with * are the items I still have some doubt.
    I really appreciate your advices and your attention. Thank you.

5. Aug 19, 2018 #4

Felipe Lincoln

Gold Member

In case of doing some scientific research along with my studies, how should I manage time to dedicate to it as well as others things I like doing?

6. Aug 20, 2018 #5
    Don't disregard this suggestion for being obvious... have you considered budgeting your time? I mean actually making an Excel spreadsheet with your waking hours planned. Not every little detail, but jotting down your plans for each hour helps. In my opinion, if you find that you are consistently studying for more than, say, 3-4 hours a day, I think it is worth re-evaluating your studying habits.

7. Aug 20, 2018 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

If you aren't keeping up now, is it a good idea to add more work?

While it's true that the time the average student spends studying has fallen over time - and according to one study is now down to 10-13 hours per week - I'm less convinced that the amount of time they should study has fallen as much. The rule of thumb is 2 hours of outside work per credit hour, which means for a 15 hour load this is 30 hours per week. Basically, college is a full-time job.

8. Aug 20, 2018 #7
    When I was a student, I needed 2-3 hours outside of class for each class hour. This added up to 30-45 hours outside of class each week for a typical 15 credit hour course load.

As a college professor, I tended to also design my homework assignments with the expectation of students spending this much time on them.

Of course, students still struggling with algebra will need more time in an algebra-based physics class with decent problem solving requirements. Students still struggling with calculus will need more time in physics courses requiring calculus.

But my experience has also been that most subjects have diminishing returns with time spent in one stretch. Both myself and students I mentor are most productive working in planned 1 hour blocks and switching to a different subject after an hour, planning to return later with fresh eyes.

9. Aug 20, 2018 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

To get good advice, you should make it clear what you are required to do. As a USA forum member, I don't know what "graduation in physics" means. Are you (in USA terms) a college undergraduate majoring in physics? How much choice do you have about the courses you take? Do you have other jobs besides being a student?

10. Aug 20, 2018 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You mentioned in item 1 of your list that you have a timer app. Use this app to set time limits on your break times. Surfing the internet can be a huge waste of time if your goal is to spend time studying effectively.
    I would advise limiting the time you spend on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, whatever, if you want to do well in your studies.

11. Aug 20, 2018 #10
    I think you should study for like 30-45 mins and after that take a break of like 5-10 mins and maybe use phone, walk somewhere, eat something or do whatever you want in that time and then come back to studying.

12. Aug 20, 2018 #11

Felipe Lincoln

Gold Member

Sorry for the lack of information.
    I'm a physics undergraduate student from Brazil at the third semester. Alongside doing the course I also work with scientific research, it takes about 8 hours of my week. Besides that I have all the time to dedicate.

I already have a spreadsheet, but I think it's too vague right now, it's like: study from x to y hours, but with Choppy's advice I break this study time into little pieces and It's already working.
    I just didn't understand your last statement. Should I study less than this?

I'm not doing bad at university actually, but what I'm doing is being not healthful because it's not effective and it makes me sleep less, do less health things because of time (that I'm not spending it effectively).

Ok, I'll do it.

13. Aug 20, 2018 #12

Felipe Lincoln

Gold Member

Saw this yesterday, was really helpful.

14. Aug 20, 2018 #13
    Working smarter rather than harder is one of the biggest lies when it comes to college success.

Success in physics requires both working harder AND working smarter. Majoring in physics IS a full time job requiring 50-60 hours each week of academic effort for a typical course load (15-17 credit hours). Working smarter will likely get you better learning and better grades, but most STEM majors are in fantasy land if they think they can reduce their overall efforts to < 30 hours a week by working "smarter."

Don't cut back study time until you ace a couple of tests or (even better) post a couple semesters with 4.0 GPAs.

15. Aug 20, 2018 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

A sort of agree with this. "Work smarter, not harder" is half right. It's good to encourage people to work smarter. The problem is that there is also the idea that one can work smarter and therefore work less. i.e. "I have decided that this is as far as I need to go, so by working smarter I can reduce the amount that study gets in the way of beer and football". That works about as well as you might expect.

16. Aug 20, 2018 #15
    Study with your peers. If you ever go to the gym alone you'll notice motivation is generally much more difficult than if you're with a group working out as a team. Your university should have free tutoring centers or physics study groups. Attend those regularly even if you prefer sitting alone with some headphones on.

17. Aug 20, 2018 #16
    Study hard is good advice as long as you know your limits and don't overdo it; too much work and no fun eventually leads to a high level of stress and procrastination, so make sure that your study routine is stable (you can keep it for a long time without any issues).

18. Aug 20, 2018 #17

HAYAO

Gold Member

I think the title "study less, study smart" itself already chooses its audience. That would be the kind of words to give to someone who is seriously overworking, like those who study 60 hours a week outside class but is struggling to get decent results.

19. Aug 21, 2018 #18

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

20. Aug 21, 2018 #19

Felipe Lincoln

Gold Member

The conclusion I came through all the answers is that studying isn't meant to be entertainment, it is work and we have to put a lot of effort since it's not easy, but yeah I like to have this kind of "job". I'm changing my routine daily based on all the answers from here and it's being very good to me, I'm managing to do my tasks and felling more motivated.
    Ok I'll read this right now. Thank you.

21. Aug 21, 2018 #20
    Besides the already great advice given here, one thing that helps A LOT is meditating for an hour (and reducing an hour of sleep if you have a really tight schedule). In India the ambitious high-school student studies up-to 15 hours a day, (I limit myself to around 7 hours a day) and what keeps us (maybe just me?) going is that we always know where we're heading in life by studying so much extra material and where we want to end up. while at the same time not compromising on our current happiness by just loving science subjects :D
    Also, a proper form of meditating really increases the sharpness of your mental faculties

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted