Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much will be the gravity of the sun if i make it like a stick

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    If i rip the sun and make it into tiny packets, a size of about a normal house and then align it in a straight line, each box having 10 cm separation, then how strong will be the gravity at the end of the line? Will it have gravity stronger than a normal sun?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How would you go about finding the answer to this? Since it is a pointless question, I'm not going to do the calculations for you.

4. Jan 24, 2014 #3
    I guess your answer is pointless. I asked a thought experiment. If you don't know the answer/don't wanna answer, then ignore the question. My question will get answer from another forum.

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd suggest asking this in a general physics forum. The relativistic effects will probably be small, and the Newtonian answer will be a lot easier to compute.

Any attempt at a GR solution would be very difficult (you'd probably be best off with some PPN approximation), and you'd need to specify the details of how the sun got held into its unnatural stick shape to even attempt an valid answer.

6. Jan 25, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you spread out the mass into a continuous distribution along a line, this is (classically) analogous to the electric field from a finite line charge in classical electrostatics. It's a common exercise in E&M classes, and requires only some integral calculus. A Google search will probably turn it up pretty quickly. Just change the constants by comparing Coulomb's law with Newton's law of gravitation.

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wanna? I don't think infantilized writing is helping you make your case.

You are not "asking a thought experiment". You are asking us to do a calculation for you. We're not "gonna" do that for you. That's not how PF operates. If you want help in doing that calculation, we will help you. Please show us how far you got on your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook