How much work was done on the mass?

• Thread starter OstralyanPain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Work
In summary, a 1.20 x 10^3-kg block is accelerated by a 2.20 x 10^3-N force for 50.0 meters on a frictionless surface. The final velocity is unknown and the work done on the block is 0.11 (Nm). To find the final velocity, one can use either kinematics or relate the work done to the kinetic energy.
OstralyanPain

Homework Statement

A 1.20 x10^3-kg block starting from rest is accelerated by a 2.20x10^3-N force for a distance of 50.0 meters along a horizontal frictionless surface.

a. What is the final velocity of the mass?

b. How much work was done on the mass?

I have no clue how to get A but for B i just Used W=Fd and got 2.20x10^3-N * 50m =
0.11 (Nm)

Can someone confirm my answer to B and help me with A?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
OstralyanPain said:
I have no clue how to get A but for B i just Used W=Fd and got 2.20x10^3-N * 50m =
0.11 (Nm)
Correct formula, but redo that arithmetic. (Keep better track of the exponents.)

For A, either find the acceleration and use kinematics or use the result of part B and relate the work done to the kinetic energy.

I can confirm that your calculation for B is correct. The work done on the mass can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted on the mass by the distance it traveled. In this case, the work done on the mass is 0.11 (Nm).

To calculate the final velocity of the mass, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is zero in this case), a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled.

a. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get v^2 = 0 + 2(2.20x10^3/1.20x10^3)(50) = 91.67. Taking the square root of both sides, we get v = 9.58 m/s. Therefore, the final velocity of the mass is 9.58 m/s.

b. As for the work done on the mass, we can also use the equation W = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the final velocity. Plugging in the values, we get W = 1/2(1.20x10^3)(9.58^2) = 54.9 (Nm). This value is equivalent to the value we obtained earlier, confirming that our calculations are correct.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do you calculate the amount of work done on a mass?

The amount of work done on a mass can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the mass by the distance the mass moved in the direction of the force.

2. Can work be negative when considering the mass?

Yes, work can be negative when considering the mass. This occurs when the force applied to the mass is in the opposite direction of the movement of the mass.

3. What are the units of work when measuring the mass?

The units of work when measuring the mass are joules (J). This is equivalent to one newton-meter (N*m).

4. How does the angle of the applied force affect the work done on the mass?

The angle of the applied force affects the work done on the mass by changing the amount of force that is applied in the direction of the movement. The work done will be greatest when the force is applied in the same direction as the movement, and will be less when the force is applied at an angle.

5. Is the work done on a mass the same as the kinetic energy gained by the mass?

No, the work done on a mass is not always equal to the kinetic energy gained by the mass. Work is the transfer of energy, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The work done on a mass can contribute to its kinetic energy, but there may be other factors at play, such as friction or other forces acting on the mass.