How petroleum is formed in the earth?

In summary, the show discussed the theory that oil is not actually derived from decaying organic material, but rather is created in a laboratory under high pressure and temperature. The proponents of this theory claim that the evidence for this is found in the presence of metalloporphyrins in oil, which are similar to chlorophyll. Oil prospecting is based on the mainstream theory, and one of the proponents of this theory predicted that oil would be found in Sweden based on his theory.
pgardn
I heard a whole show on Science Fridays on NPR that basically stated that we do not really know. Most people assume its decaying organic material, but the Russians and some other scientists have created all sorts of hydrocarbons in the lab with water, Carbonate in rocks, and iron or other common metals as catalysts under high pressure and temp. Some of the guys they talked to said that "oil" is mostly made INORGANICALLY?

So what's the consensus?
1. We don't know for sure 2. Organically decaying plant/animal material 3. Inorganically

Chemistry news on Phys.org
2. Although it's only plant (algae) material, really and 'decaying' isn't quite the correct term. Sounds like a very unbalanced documentary.

Yes, there was a Soviet-era Russian (Kudryavtsev) who had an "alternative" theory, back in the 1950's, but it was not mainstream even in the Soviet Union, and is by no means a mainstream theory now. The main proponents could be counted on one hand, whereas every other petrochemist in the world is basically on the other side. And it's only the proponents who claim this is still an open question.

There's simply too much evidence saying otherwise. The biggest single piece of evidence is the existence of metalloporphyrins in oil, which are highly similar to chlorophyll. There's no other theory to explain these fairly complicated organic molecules. (I don't even think the proponents of 'oil abiogenesis' dispute that, but rather claim that while the porphyrins and other biomarkers might have come from biological material, all the rest of the oil came about via their mechanism.)

Oil prospecting is done, quite successfully, on the basis of the mainstream theory. One of the main proponents of oil abiogenesis, Thomas Gold, predicted on the basis of his theory that there'd be oil in the Siljan ring area of Sweden. They drilled for years there - and found absolutely nothing.

It sucks to see these old, discredited theories being dredged up. To me, it seems like the global-warming deniers have convinced themselves so thoroughly that the end of oil means the end of civilization, that they want to extend their delusions to pretending oil will last forever as well!

I can't believe they put this on NPR...

I heard it with another colleague and we were in shock that we were so behind as we thought organically.

Thanks for the reply. I had not heard about the chlorophyll like molecules.

I knew there was a bunch of stuff in diff. types of deposits after listening to a petrochemical lab that can ID oil by rig or formation as every place seems to have its own unique "slurry" of hydrocarbons and I got to thinking about that radio show. They were using the lab to ID tarballs and found out they were not from the current catostrophe in the gulf and probably from a ship(s) that had dumped some waste. Apparently its expensive to clean so some boats just dump hydrocarbons and this group tries to trace the source. A lot of boats are apparently dumping now thinking blame will be placed on the Deep Water Horizon.

Interesting.

pgardn said:
I can't believe they put this on NPR...

I can. :tongue2:

Ira Flatow would do this... jeezzz...

1. How long does it take for petroleum to form in the earth?

The process of petroleum formation takes millions of years. It is estimated that it takes around 10 million years for petroleum to form.

2. What are the main ingredients for petroleum formation?

The main ingredients for petroleum formation are organic matter, heat, and pressure. Organic matter, such as dead plants and animals, is buried deep in the earth and subjected to high heat and pressure over a long period of time, leading to the formation of petroleum.

3. Where is petroleum typically found in the earth?

Petroleum is typically found in underground reservoirs or pockets within sedimentary rocks. These rocks are formed from layers of sediment, including organic matter, that have been compressed over time.

4. What is the process of petroleum formation called?

The process of petroleum formation is called diagenesis. This refers to the chemical and physical changes that occur in organic matter as it is buried and subjected to high temperatures and pressures over time.

5. How does petroleum form in the earth?

Petroleum forms when organic matter, such as algae and plankton, is buried and subjected to high heat and pressure over millions of years. This process, known as diagenesis, breaks down the organic matter into hydrocarbons, which make up petroleum.