How pick gears that will hold for given torque?

In summary, the author recommends using an off-the-shelf gear that has the specifications necessary for the task at hand. If the torque is countered by only one tooth, it comes down to the wheel radius and the size of the tooth. Thicker gearwheels make a difference.
Chevreuil
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a simple method to pick gears for a given task. I need to make a rough estimation to see if I'm off by more or less a factor of ten. The only method I have access to is very complex and hard to understand.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
The easy method is to find an off-the-shelf gear that has sufficient specifications for the application you have.

Likes Chevreuil
It will depend on the gear ratio and relative mesh configuration.
If the torque is countered by only one tooth then it comes down to the wheel radius and the size of the tooth as a short cantilever. Thicker gearwheels make a difference.
Give us some dimension and configuration specifications so we can be more specific.

Likes Chevreuil
Thank you all, I ended up finding that my chosen gear was too weak, and I had to go for one with twice the modulus (i.e. with the cogs about twice as large).

http://www.hpcgears.com/pdf_c33/27.48-27.60.pdf

In this document, it is said that the maximum tangential force, in lbs of force, that a gear can take without succumbing to wear, is

(X_c * Z * S_c * F )/K

Where X_c, Z, S_c, F is a bunch of factors derived from the gears and their working conditions. K however, is described as "Pitch factor DP 0.8 power". What does that mean? Does this mean that K=DP^(0.8)? (exponentiation with the diametral pitch as the base and 0.8 as the exponent)

Yes it just means DP^0.8

This is a more comprehensive manufacturers guide to gear design :

http://khkgears.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/gear_guide.pdf

PS: I can't see anything wrong with the gear drawings that you Emailed . Your problem may originate in some quirk of the CAD program . Best thing to do is for you to draw your own gears to the supplied dimensions . Then you can be sure that you haven't got something silly like a scaling error from your CAD's interpretation of the downloads .

Last edited:
Thank you very much! This guide looks great!

OT: Did you see their video ad? I'm getting really weird vibes from it, but it really gets the message delivered.

1. How do I determine the torque requirements for my gears?

The torque requirements for gears depend on the load that the gears will be subjected to. You can calculate the required torque by considering the weight, speed, and forces acting on the gears.

2. What material should I choose for my gears to withstand high torque?

The material of the gears is crucial in determining their ability to withstand high torque. Steel is the most commonly used material for gears as it has high strength and durability. Other materials such as bronze, cast iron, and plastic can also be used depending on the specific torque requirements.

3. How do I select the gear ratio for my application?

The gear ratio determines the speed and torque output of the gears. It is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the output gear by the number of teeth on the input gear. To select the gear ratio, you need to consider the desired output speed and torque for your application.

4. Should I use helical or spur gears for high torque applications?

Both helical and spur gears can be used for high torque applications. However, helical gears are better suited for high torque as they have a larger contact area and can handle higher loads. Spur gears are more suitable for low torque applications.

5. How do I ensure that my gears will hold for the given torque?

To ensure that your gears will hold for the given torque, you need to use the correct material, size, and gear ratio for your application. It is also important to properly lubricate and maintain the gears to prevent wear and failure. Conducting regular inspections and replacing worn gears can also help ensure their ability to withstand the given torque.