How plausible would be an object like The Way from Greg Bear's Eon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dendros
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dendros
Messages
51
Reaction score
14
A long time ago I have read the novel Eternity by Greg Bear and recently I have read the novel Eon by the same author. In both novels there is described an object/construct called The Way which is basically an artificial universe, a seemingly infinitely long cylinder-like distortion of space-time generated by some very advanced machinery.
Is that possible in the real Universe, based on what we know today? If yes, I'm struggling to imagine how would be possible to create an infinitely long distortion of space-time.
I'm aware that any answer would be pure speculation and that's why I have opened this thread in this section, I hope I didn't break any rules.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dendros said:
Is that possible in the real Universe, based on what we know today?

No.
 
You can readily answer your own question, @dendros, by reading the Wiki article on Bear's novels where it describes the construction of The Way and looking up some of the terms. They are first order gobbledygook, great science fiction terminology actually, but it is entirely nonsensical and based on declared fictional physics of the kind sci-fi authors often (need to) engage into transcend the constraints of how our actual universe works and allow for plot devices such as faster than light travel / comms.

I've invented such myself, it's terrific fun to write, but it's not even a little bit real.