How Plausible are the "Flish" in the "The Future Is Wild"

• Thread starter Lren Zvsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, "The Future Is Wild" is a speculative documentary that aired in 2003 on the Discovery Channel, showcasing possible future evolutionary outcomes at 5 million, 100 million, and 200 million years. While some of the imaginary species presented may not seem plausible, such as the Flish, a class of flying fish evolved from bony fish, it is still considered an impressive feat of scientifically informed imagination and technical excellence. The plausibility of the Flish is subjective, with some considering it probable or plausible while others deeming it impossible. Overall, the documentary serves as a thought-provoking look at potential future biological evolution.
Lren Zvsm
Way back in 2003, the Discovery Channel aired a speculative documentary called "The Future Is Wild." It portrayed some possible results of future biological evolution, first at 5 million years hence, then 100 million years hence, then 200 million years hence. https://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=The_Future_is_Wild Overall, an outstanding set of CGI effects for its time.

No, they didn't cover every species on the planet, and they certainly didn't present their imaginary future species as inevitable evolutionary outcomes. The idea was to illustrate evolutionary principles using the simplification possible with small sets of imaginary species.

I admire this documentary as an impressive feat of scientifically informed imagination and technical excellence. But some of those imaginary species didn't seem plausible to me, and one of those was the Flish, a class of creatures evolved from boney fishes that could not only breathe air, but achieve powered flight one hundred million years from now. One of the Flish is pictured at this link: https://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=The_Future_is_Wild#Part_2:_100_million_years_-_Hothouse_World

This brings us to my question, namely 'How plausible are the "Flish" from the speculative documentary "The Future Is Wild"?

I would welcome expository replies that might correct my ignorance of what 100 million years could do to a species. But if you don't have time for that, feel free to use the following rating scale.

1. Probable. Flish could not only evolve, but overrun the Earth.
2. Plausible. We could see flish evolving in the hypothetical scenario presented in the film.
3. Desperate. Well if you allow for this one alleged gray area in physics, we guess you could make flish work.
4. Impossible. We do not know what perverse impulse drove us to read Lren's ridiculous question. It should be obvious that the very idea that "flish" could evolve naturally is as ignorant as a toenail clipping! Flish couldn't evolve! They couldn't happen!

Last edited:
Likes Jarvis323
Physics news on Phys.org

Likes Jarvis323
I think they are plausible. I mean, just 540 million years ago life wasn't even close to all that it is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion

Ocean creatures are already trying to fly. We already have flying birds and flying mamals; a lot can happen in 100 million years.

I'm more unsure about the Mega Squid and the Squibbons.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Lren Zvsm
You'd need to work through the evolutionary pressure for flish to develop beyond the niche that flying fish already occupy to decide on the likelihood of them developing, but it's plausible, at least. Almost two dozen scientific experts worked on The Future is Wild so it's not as if it was dreamed up without the input of domain expertise.

• Informative
Likes Lren Zvsm

1. How were the "Flish" created in "The Future Is Wild"?

The "Flish" in "The Future Is Wild" were created through a process known as speculative evolution. This involves using current scientific knowledge and theories to imagine how a species could evolve in the future.

2. Are the "Flish" scientifically plausible?

While the "Flish" in "The Future Is Wild" may seem fantastical, they are based on scientific principles and theories. However, their exact evolution and characteristics cannot be confirmed as they are purely speculative.

3. Could the "Flish" actually exist in the future?

It is impossible to say for certain whether the "Flish" could exist in the future. While their evolution is based on scientific principles, there are many factors that could influence their development and survival in the real world.

4. What makes the "Flish" different from other aquatic creatures?

The "Flish" are unique in their combination of physical characteristics and behaviors. They have evolved to have both fish-like and bird-like features, allowing them to thrive in both water and air environments. They also exhibit complex social behaviors, which is uncommon among aquatic species.

5. How do the "Flish" fit into the overall ecosystem in "The Future Is Wild"?

The "Flish" play a crucial role in the aquatic ecosystem in "The Future Is Wild". They are apex predators, feeding on smaller fish and invertebrates, while also being preyed upon by larger predators. Their presence helps to maintain balance and diversity within the ecosystem.