Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How powerful is the CIA?

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Is it powerful as shown in hollywood movies like enemy of the state , bourne series and many more?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: is CIA such powerfull?

CIA in Hollywood movies has about as much to do with reality as Star Wars with Apollo missions.

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3

If they do their work right, you'll never know.

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, absolutely not.

6. Sep 24, 2011 #5

I'm a military brat and have known my share of spooks including my best friend's father. Hollywood exaggerates some things and down plays others. The CIA is just one of many intelligence agencies and they're actually more of the public face of the intelligence community then the covert ops division. Their specialty is organizing all the data collected and you can even visit their website which has one of the largest data bases in the world.

The real spooky characters are the NSA (affectionately called "No Such Agency") and whatever other organizations might exist that nobody knows about. They're set up at the pentagon where the lines between the military and intelligence community become blurred. The sheer size of all these combined assets is mind boggling and its difficult to underestimate their power.

To put this into perspective, the pentagon budget alone is equal to that of the entire government of most countries and the US military is equal to the next seven largest in the world combined. The old Soviet Union is estimated to have recruited one in twenty citizens to spy on each other. Talk about your inescapable inhumane bureaucratic machines! These are not people you can easily keep secrets from and they're not to be trifled with.

7. Sep 24, 2011 #6

They can't hold a candle to Mosad. Especially when both are in the same movie. On the other hand, you probably read it yourself in Computer Week before the KGB finds out about it. The Aruban spy agency is the best party agency for the 15th year running according to our staff. The Chinese spy agency is so good that no one even knows the name of it. You don't hear much about the Bora Bora spy agency but since they took UARS out, that may change.

8. Sep 24, 2011 #7

What about Absolut?

9. Sep 24, 2011 #8

Who guards the guardians?

10. Sep 24, 2011 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The NSA is NOT set up at the Pentagon ... they have a huge complex out at Ft. Meade, Md.

11. Sep 24, 2011 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I first became interested in the UFO phenomena, it quickly became evident that the best source of information on this subject is the NSA. When the internet came along, as one might guess based on the links provided in S&D, I spent many, many, many hours going through the archives at the NSA and other security agencies. Not only are some of the most interesting and credible reports available at these sites, esp the NSA, but it is often fascinating reading and provides a unique perspective into the workings of the cold-war, military industrial complex. It also provides an interesting historical perspective on military technology. So the long and the short of it is that it became a hobby. I was logged onto government sites for hundreds of hours over a period of perhaps five years. I've always wondered how closely someone may have been looking at me. The NSA did finally admit that they were tracking people who visited their site, but I don't know how invasive this was.

Funny thing about the CIA; if you die in the line of duty, you get a star on a wall, but no names listed. Even in death there is no public recognition of the people who do this work.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. Sep 24, 2011 #11

nsaspook

Science Advisor

As an instrument of force the CIA is a dud. Like a small dog with a loud bark.

The CEA, wow that's where the power is.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Sep 24, 2011 #12

I actually thought FBi = CIA lol

14. Sep 24, 2011 #13

That's their headquarters, on a military base, where they keep their super computer among other things. They also have facilities in Texas and Georgia. However, they were first conceived as a branch of the military and their role includes safeguarding all military and government communications. They were so secret at one time that it wasn't until twenty years after Truman created the organization that its existence became known to the public.

15. Sep 24, 2011 #14

I would like to know how these people know the CIA is not as powerful as the Hollywood movies or even more powerful than the movies?

16. Sep 24, 2011 #15

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Look around, how can all these things happen if they are so powerful?

17. Sep 24, 2011 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does powerful mean? What do they do in movies?

18. Sep 24, 2011 #17

let's see, you're in biochem? you have any opinion on the silly stuff you see in shows like CSI?

hollywood has its own set of magic physics, chemistry, etc.

19. Sep 24, 2011 #18

nsaspook

Science Advisor

CIA: State Dept: Diplomats, treaties and picking pretty flowers.
    NSA: Defense Dept: Marines and blowing things up.

20. Sep 24, 2011 #19

yes, that would certainly explain why NSA hires so many mathematicians

21. Sep 24, 2011 #20

All I am saying is who knows what they are up to? To claim they are similar to some bargain bin agency where street-level cops could do the same job is a little bit absurd in my opinion. For them to even last, most common day people (we the people here) must be kept in* the dark of most activities and know little of what they are capable of in today's world. That is the reason why I am asking you how do you know they aren't as powerful?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook