Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to remember an Italian movie

1. Nov 24, 2018 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So far my google fu failed me.

There was an Italian movie, shot is sixties or seventies, kind of a psychological drama (definitely not an action movie) that ended with a long car crash scene: guy was speeding through the country, at crossroads something went wrong, his car started rolling and made many rolls before stopping, then there was a voice heard, monologue of the driver, saying something like "I will get up in a moment, but I have to rest a bit". I believe the crash scene was shown twice, first in a slowmo, then at normal speed. I think I have read somewhere that shotting the scene took several weeks.

Anyone remembers the movie?

Sadly, web is full of action movies, car chases, and they are very difficult to filter out from the search results. Fact that the movie is old doesn't help either :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2018 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Do you have any further tips? Mastroiani, Pasolini, Fellini, was the crash the last scene?

4. Nov 25, 2018 #3

Borek

Sadly - no names that I could list. Yes, I believe the crash was the last scene.

5. Dec 8, 2018 #4

Klystron

Gold Member

There was an international movie starring George C. Scott of "Patton" fame that I saw while working in Asia. The movie marquee called the movie "The Driver" but this google hit calls it "The Last Run". The plot was a Jim Thompson "Getaway" rehash but the chase scenes in Portugal were visually exciting. Growly old Scott was good, as usual, as the aging expert with a few last tricks.

https://wolfmanscultfilmclub.wordpr...my-grandad-george-c-scott-the-getaway-driver/

Cannot remember the final scenes but understand the movie was shot with several finals, so the version I saw may not be the same as yours. Hope this helps (Portugal not Italy) but at least removes a negative hit from your searches.

6. Dec 8, 2018 #5

Borek

Forgot to mention: turned out it was most likely a French movie, Les choses de la vie.

7. Dec 8, 2018 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

At least fits to
    https://www.imdb.com/
    and these are practically the only things contributed there, so the car scene seems to be what everybody remembers.

8. Dec 8, 2018 #7

Borek

The crash scene is on youtube if anyone is interested:

9. Dec 8, 2018 #8

fresh_42

2017 Award

I hope they paid the stuntman per time and not per stunt.

10. Dec 8, 2018 #9

Klystron

Gold Member

Oh, French flick. I saw that movie. Good actor. The tire rolling alone from the crash represent futility of struggle or maybe a struggle with futility. :cool:
    Didn't "2-lane Blacktop" have a similar ending?

11. Dec 10, 2018 #10
  12. Dec 10, 2018 #11

Klystron

Gold Member

13. Dec 10, 2018 #12

Klystron

Gold Member

14. Dec 11, 2018 #13

Tom.G

Science Advisor

15. Dec 16, 2018 at 7:31 PM #14

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder that movie had an influence on a more modern movie, Intersection (1994), with Richard Gere.

16. Dec 17, 2018 at 2:49 AM #15

Borek

Wikipedia says it is just a remake (so yes, definitely there was an influence :wink: )

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted