1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How proof heavy is applied mathematics?

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    Especially for 2nd & 3rd year courses I'm looking at such as PDEs, fourier series & laplace tranforms, Vector calculus, intermediate level linear algebra, computational maths, lagranian and hamiltonian dynamics?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I imagine the courses you listed would have little proofs as they rely a lot on Calculus for which you've seen the proofs already. As a physics major, I recall taking these courses and not having to do any proofs. You could check with the profs of these classes and see what they say or the course catalog and see if its for engineering and science majors too that would be a clue.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    I think "intermediate" linear algebra sounds like it might be a little proofy. Others would depend on the particular class. Best way to find out would be to e-mail or talk to the instructor because it's up to them how they structure the class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook