1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How related is Number Theory to Physics?

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    As I've read and been told, you can never know too much mathematics when you study physics, and I think I read it somewhere here. I have also read that cutting-edge theories like M-Theory need most likely a new the invention of a new type of mathematics to be developed.

But my question is, how does number theory relate to physics? I would like to know its direct, or indirect applications, how did the Fermat's Last Theorem proof have possiby contributed to our understanding of the universe? I imagine there is much more to number theory than that, as my knowledge about the subject does not go much further than a bit of modular arithmetics.

This is by no means a rant against number theory, I'm only asking it because I am becoming very interested in it, and would like to know more about its pratical usefulness.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    Hmm. I, personally, don't know, but I can guess that a lot of the applications of NT are to be found in quantum mechanics.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook