How secure are unofficial MS Windows copies?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of unofficial operating systems, specifically focusing on pirated or cracked versions of Windows. The participants question the motives of hackers who create these versions and the safety and security risks associated with using them. They also touch on the importance of updates and the potential consequences of disabling them. The conversation concludes with a warning against using pirated versions of Windows and emphasizes the importance of regularly updating software.
mech-eng
TL;DR Summary
I wonder about unofficial operating systems.
Hello. I wonder about unoffial operating system for our devices. First, I want to start from Windows.

Windows have unofficial version. These are probably called "pirate" or "cracked". I guess these are prepared by hackers but for which reason? Do hackers care those who cannot afford to buy windows so they release free, unofficial versions? What is the point here? How secure are these copies of Windows operating system? Could there be risks even though the user who those prite copies use an antivirus?

P.S: My windows is original and the windows key came with the PC.

Regards,

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm sure unauthorized operating systems are completely safe as long as you don't use them.

Hacked / jail-broken means stuff was changed. What was the reason behind jail-breaking it? just to give away a free copy? There has to be a hidden agenda in there somewhere.

Were other things added? crypto-mining? malware? shady device drivers? whatever the hacker wanted to add?

How will you get critical system vulnerability updates?

Microsoft in contrast has a legal / financial duty to create a safe product. If they fail then people will seek alternatives such as Ubuntu or macOS.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes anorlunda, Vanadium 50, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:
How will you get critical system vulnerability updates?

I have disabled my updates because I became tired of those updates. But aren't updates ready or active for pirate windows copies? I don't know how things work in those pirate copies. This is a matter on its own right. Does someone know?

• Skeptical
Likes jedishrfu
mech-eng said:
Windows have unofficial version. These are probably called "pirate" or "cracked". I guess these are prepared by hackers but for which reason? Do hackers care those who cannot afford to buy windows so they release free, unofficial versions?
If you do not pay for the commodity, you are the commodity (not true in FOSS, though). I agree what @jedishrfu says. If one can't buy Windows, they should shift to an open-source alternative like Ubuntu.

Likes mech-eng
mech-eng said:
I have disabled my updates because I became tired of those updates.
Yikes! That's bad on so many levels. For one, you will lose out on security fixes and your system will become more vulnerable to hakers. Good luck!

Likes harborsparrow, jedishrfu and FactChecker
mech-eng said:
I have disabled my updates because I became tired of those updates.
Do you know what is being updated? I never installed Microsoft Office. I use LibreOffice instead. I have not been bothered by updates very often.
I agree with @Wrichik Basu that disabling updates is dangerous.

FactChecker said:
I have not been bothered by updates very often.
Don't you use windows 10? Before windows 10, the situations may be different. Windows 10 frequently takes updates, and this is bothering to many users. So we can hold up them up to 40 days, if I know correctly. I don't think most of them for security reasons.

mech-eng said:
Don't you use windows 10? Before windows 10, the situations may be different. Windows 10 frequently takes updates, and this is bothering to many users. So we can hold up them up to 40 days, if I know correctly. I don't think most of them for security reasons.
I use Windows 10. I hope that I have not unintentionally disabled updates.

6 Reasons Why You Should Never Use a Pirated Copy of Windows:
  1. You May Not Get Any Windows Updates
  2. A Pirated Copy of Windows Is Less Safe
  3. You May See a Decline in Performance
  4. You'll Get Limited Access to Microsoft Products and Run the Risk of Getting Banned
  5. Hackers Could Spy on You
  6. You May End Up Behind Bars

• Informative
Likes jedishrfu and mech-eng
You wrote that
mech-eng said:
Summary: I wonder about unofficial operating systems.

P.S: My windows is original and the windows key came with the PC.
So, why are you interested in this question? Is your interest somehow "academic"?

In short: Using pirated copies of closed-source software is a recipe for disaster.

Disabling or postponing updates on an official copy of software, closed or open, is a recipe for unhappiness. See post #5. Just let the updates run during a bathroom visit, for example. It will make that visit even more satisfying.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes Wrichik Basu
Thread will remain closed. Warnings or infractions will be issued as appropriate.

1. How can I tell if my unofficial MS Windows copy is secure?

One way to determine the security of your unofficial MS Windows copy is to check for regular updates and security patches from Microsoft. If these updates are not available or do not install properly, it may indicate that your copy is not secure.

2. Are unofficial MS Windows copies more vulnerable to viruses and malware?

Unofficial MS Windows copies are at a higher risk for viruses and malware because they may not have the same security features and updates as official copies. Additionally, these copies may have been tampered with or contain hidden malicious software.

3. Can I use third-party antivirus software to protect my unofficial MS Windows copy?

While it is possible to use third-party antivirus software to protect your unofficial MS Windows copy, it may not be as effective as using the built-in security features and updates from Microsoft. Additionally, some antivirus software may not be compatible with unofficial copies.

4. What are the potential consequences of using an unofficial MS Windows copy?

Using an unofficial MS Windows copy can have various consequences, including legal implications and security risks. These copies may not have been properly licensed and can result in legal action from Microsoft. Additionally, these copies may not receive critical security updates, leaving your computer vulnerable to cyber attacks.

5. Is it worth the risk to use an unofficial MS Windows copy?

The answer to this question depends on your individual situation and priorities. While unofficial MS Windows copies may be cheaper or more convenient, they come with a higher risk of security vulnerabilities and legal consequences. It is important to consider the potential risks and make an informed decision.