How secure are unofficial Android versions?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Android
In summary, the conversation discusses the security of unofficial Android versions and how to determine if they are trustworthy. The expert explains that as long as the version is well-known and open-source, there should be no trust issues. However, distinguishing a secure version from a dangerous one can be difficult, as unofficial versions do not have a clear source. The expert also mentions that discussing illegal software is not allowed on the forum.
mech-eng
TL;DR Summary
I would like to ask about Android versions developed by developers.
Hello. Would you please explain how secure are unofficial Android versions. I called them "unofficial" but I don't know the terminology. Android devices come with an Android version. Android OS frequently updates, having a higher number. So I guess the devices can be updated for some years but then the devices' producers stop supporting them hence they became quite old. Then developers take into action. They develop the OS for the old device. Some of those "developed" operating systems even does use a different name such as Lineage OS.

I wonder about how secure the use of such Android versions for tablets and smart phones. I might use one in the future.

Thanks and regards,

Technology news on Phys.org
Android is an open-source project, and hence anybody can create their own OEM upon the Android base. Big companies can develop their own OEM, just as "small" developers. And these OEMs are the same from the security point of view because any security patches are applied to the Android base itself rather than a particular OEM, and hence, if the developers or companies are still providing updates, these patches are propagated to the devices.

If you install a well-known open-source Android OEM on your device, there will be no trust issues.

• Informative
Likes mech-eng
Wrichik Basu said:
If you install a well-known open-source Android OEM on your device, there will be no trust issues.

How can I distinguish a well-known and secure one from a dangerous one, which is prepared by a person or company with bad intentions?

mech-eng said:
How can I distinguish a well-known and secure one from a dangerous one, which is prepared by a person or company with bad intentions?
You have Google, right?

mech-eng said:
Your questions focus on the thing, the what. Instead, focus on who you should trust and who not trust.

An unofficial anything means that you don't know who it came from.

• Informative
Likes Vanadium 50 and mech-eng
Restarting a locked thread/subject is not allowed. This similar thread is closed as well. We do not discuss illegal software at PF.

1. What are some common security risks associated with unofficial Android versions?

Unofficial Android versions, also known as custom ROMs, are not developed or supported by the original device manufacturer. This means that they may not have the same security measures in place as official versions. Some common security risks include malware, data breaches, and vulnerabilities that could be exploited by hackers.

2. How does the security of unofficial Android versions compare to official versions?

The security of unofficial Android versions can vary greatly depending on the source and development process. Official versions have gone through rigorous testing and have security updates provided by the manufacturer. Unofficial versions may not have the same level of security measures, making them more vulnerable to cyber threats.

3. Is it safe to use unofficial Android versions?

It is generally not recommended to use unofficial Android versions due to the potential security risks. However, if the custom ROM is from a reputable source and regularly updated with security patches, it may be considered safe to use.

4. Can using unofficial Android versions void my device's warranty?

Yes, using unofficial Android versions can void your device's warranty. This is because custom ROMs are not approved or supported by the manufacturer, and any changes made to the device's software could potentially damage it or cause malfunctions.

5. How can I enhance the security of my device when using unofficial Android versions?

To enhance the security of your device when using unofficial Android versions, it is important to only download custom ROMs from trusted sources and regularly update to the latest version. You should also install a reputable antivirus app and be cautious when downloading apps from third-party sources. Additionally, consider backing up your device and keeping sensitive information on a secure cloud storage service.