How Should a ChemE Major Spend the Summer After Freshman Year?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Null_
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
I plan on taking an economics course through my local community college and working at a 4-H camp. I kind of want to have at least one more summer just chilling at home before I do any internships, since I'd have to live at least an hour and a half away from home. I'm a chemE major in a state university. I'd also self-study calc III and linear algebra, then take both classes in the fall.

Is this a bad way to spend the summer? Should I try for an internship?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
May I suggest reviewing/applying what you have learned so far? It might prove beneficial in your upcoming classes. Otherwise, relax and enjoy summer (2011).
 
In my experience (one of my majors is via the college of engineering here), companies usually hire after the sophomore year. I would just read a lot, beef up on some of your courses (if you really want/need to) and enjoy yourself.
 
I think I will try to get the summer camp job (8-4, 5 days a week) since I don't work during the school year. And it seems like a good idea to review what I learned during the past year.

^matlab, not at all. Should I spend time learning? We mainly use Maple in calculus and Python in physics at my school.