How Should a Plank Be Supported for Balance with Unequal Weights at Its Ends?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
alexo
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I think I'm being a bit dull today but I seem to be having real trouble understanding this question...

Two children wish to make a see-saw from a 5m plank of wood, the children weigh 25kg and 20kg. They wish to sit right on the ends of the plank. Where should the plank be supported in order for it to balance...

Homework Equations


t=RF

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that Net ACWM should = CWM...
I found the weight in Newtons of the kids...196N and 245N..
I added the two forces together to get the opposing force of the pivot, 441N

But now I'm stuck... and have no idea where to take it from here :(

Thanks :) Alexo.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the question is dealing with the pivot (in many of these problems the means of rotation, like the pulley is deemed massless and frictionless.)
the question is about torque, so ask yourself, how can the plank be placed so there is no torque? the only equation you need you already have.