Calculating Reaction Forces and Maximum Weight for Uniform Plank on Two Trestles

In summary, the reaction force of each trestle in supporting a uniform plank 3.0m long and weighing 200N, placed symmetrically at 2.0m apart, is 100N. To calculate the maximum weight that can be placed at one end without the plank tipping over, the equilibrium equations must be used with consideration for the far reaction force when the plank is about to tip over.
Apothem

Homework Statement

"A uniform plank 3.0m long and a weight of 200N is supported horizontally and symmetrically across two trestles, A and B, placed 2.0m apart. Calculate the reaction force of each trestle. What is the maximum weight that can be placed at one end without the plank tipping over?"

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a diagram of the situation, with the weight of 200N acting vertically downwards at 1.5m, with each trestle being 0.5m from each end of the plank, as it is symmetrical. From that I am unsure how to calculate the reaction forces. On regards to the second part where you have to calculate the maximum weight which can be placed at one end without the plank tipping, I feel as if I should be able to calculate that, one I have guidance on working out the reaction forces
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apothem said:

Homework Statement

"A uniform plank 3.0m long and a weight of 200N is supported horizontally and symmetrically across two trestles, A and B, placed 2.0m apart. Calculate the reaction force of each trestle. What is the maximum weight that can be placed at one end without the plank tipping over?"

Homework Equations

Unsure

I have drawn a diagram of the situation, with the weight of 200N acting vertically downwards at 1.5m, with each trestle being 0.5m from each end of the plank, as it is symmetrical. From that I am unsure how to calculate the reaction forces. On regards to the second part where you have to calculate the maximum weight which can be placed at one end without the plank tipping, I feel as if I should be able to calculate that, one I have guidance on working out the reaction forces
Thanks in advance!
For calculating the support reaction forces from the weight of the beam only, that is correct procedure to place the resultant 200 N load at the beam centerline. Now just use the equilibrium equations , with which hopefully you are familiar, to solve for them. Then chck your result based on the symmetry of the system...would you expect one support to support more than the other? For the second part, again use the equilibrium equations for the new load case (200 N load at beam center and unknown load at beam end), but to solve for the unknown load, you first need to consider what the far reaction force must be when the beam is about to tip over. Please show your work.

You need to draw all the forces and then write two equations:
1. equilibrium of forces
2. equilibrium of toques.

Hello Apothem,

Apothem said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Unsure

Thanks in advance!

Calculating the reaction forces should be as simple as employing Newton's Second Law, which states that for the plank, Fnet = ma. Since the plank is in equilibrium, both its vertical and its horizontal accelerations are zero. So the vector sum of forces in each of these directions must be 0:

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0

This will probably only constrain the sum of the two upward reaction forces. To solve for each of them individually, you will also require the rotational equivalent of Newton's second law for torques:

Ʃτ = 0

which will probably end up telling you that the two reaction forces are the same, since they have the same lever arm.

My advice would be to start with a free body diagram (FBD) for the plank. It shows only the plank (no other objects) and the forces acting on it. This avoids confusion, and ensures you have a complete inventory of the forces for your sum.

The board in in equilibrium, so the forces and moments have to sum to 0:
\begin{align*}
\sum_i \vec{F}_i &= 0 \\
\sum_i \vec{\tau}_i &= \sum (\vec{r}\times\vec{F})_i = 0
\end{align*}

PhanthomJay said:
For calculating the support reaction forces from the weight of the beam only, that is correct procedure to place the resultant 200 N load at the beam centerline. Now just use the equilibrium equations , with which hopefully you are familiar, to solve for them. Then chck your result based on the symmetry of the system...would you expect one support to support more than the other? For the second part, again use the equilibrium equations for the new load case (200 N load at beam center and unknown load at beam end), but to solve for the unknown load, you first need to consider what the far reaction force must be when the beam is about to tip over. Please show your work.

From the diagram I used I took the moments about trestle B
1.0m*200=2*FtrestleA
From this I deduced that the reaction force of trestle A was 100N, due to the fact that the trestles are symmetrical based upon the centre of gravity, then the reaction force of trestle B is 100N, is that right?. From this to work out the maximum weight I am in the process of saying that the weight is at the end with trestle B, so I am taking moments from trestle B, however I know that there will be no force at trestle A, as it is the weight just before it tips. Is this the right way?

Last edited:
Yes, your work sounds good so far.

vela said:
Yes, your work sounds good so far.

So in order to calculate the maximum weight that can be placed at one end without the plank tipping over, I have taken moments about trestle B:
F*0.5=200*1 (where F is the maximum weight)
Thus after rearranging, I have found that F=400N, is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating Reaction Forces and Maximum Weight for Uniform Plank on Two Trestles

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics refers to the turning effect produced by a force acting on an object. It is the product of the magnitude of the force and the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot point.

2. How do you calculate a moment?

To calculate a moment, you need to multiply the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot point. This can be represented by the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the difference between a clockwise and counterclockwise moment?

A clockwise moment is a turning effect that causes an object to rotate in the clockwise direction, while a counterclockwise moment causes an object to rotate in the counterclockwise direction. This is determined by the direction in which the force is applied in relation to the pivot point.

4. How does the position of the pivot point affect the moment?

The position of the pivot point affects the moment by changing the distance between the force and the pivot point. The farther away the pivot point is from the force, the larger the moment will be.

5. What are some real-life examples of moments in physics?

Some real-life examples of moments in physics include using a wrench to loosen a bolt, opening a door, and lifting a weight with a lever. In all of these scenarios, a force is applied at a certain distance from a pivot point, creating a turning effect or moment.