• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How should an H bridge circuit be analyzed?

Homework Statement:

How should an H bridge circuit be analyzed?

Relevant Equations:

Basic KCL, KVL, transistor equations
If I am given an H bridge circuit such as that below:
1577067105797.png

How would I go on analyzing it? I would personally replace all of the transistors by their circuit models but then what would I do with the motor? Do I replace the motor with it's load resistance or is there more to it? I guess motors are dealt with power electronics, I have not covered power electronics in my study (i dont plan on doing so).

Answers and Replies

Typically motors are simulated as series RL circuit. It allows accurate sumulation of transients during motor switching.

Typically motors are simulated as series RL circuit. It allows accurate sumulation of transients during motor switching.
if i have a motor with me is there a way to determine those values?

if i have a motor with me is there a way to determine those values?
High end multimeters allows to measure both inductance and resistance of motor winding.
In my workshop, i prefer to use a combination of cheap multimeter for resistance measurement and a dedicated LC meter for measurement of inductance though - more cost efficient and accurate. Standard meter-long multimeter leads have enough self-inductance to distort reading from smaller motors.

High end multimeters allows to measure both inductance and resistance of motor winding.
In my workshop, i prefer to use a combination of cheap multimeter for resistance measurement and a dedicated LC meter for measurement of inductance though - more cost efficient and accurate. Standard meter-long multimeter leads have enough self-inductance to distort reading from smaller motors.

Darn, my multimeter doesn't include that operation. I was wondering if I could analyze this hbridge by hand calculation or if I should just use a SPICE program because it will be too complicated by hand?

Darn, my multimeter doesn't include that operation. I was wondering if I could analyze this hbridge by hand calculation or if I should just use a SPICE program because it will be too complicated by hand?
Voltage surges which are dominant problem of H bridges are difficult to calculate manually; SPICE is preferrable.