How should I attach the guy wires to my new tree for support in bad weather?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
jtwin2
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have just planted a new tree. To support the tree in bad weather, I attach guy wires from the trunk of the tree to stakes in the ground. I cut 32 feet of wire into four equal lengths to make the guy wires. I attach four guy wires, evenly spaced around the tree. I put the stakes in the ground five feet from the base of the trunk. Approximately how far up the trunk should I attach the guy wires?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I would have 4 equal lengths of 8ft of guy wires. I would put the stakes in the ground 5ft from the base. In order to support the tree in bad weather, I would wrap the tree 2 ft around and wrap the stakes 1 ft around, therefore leaving me with 3 ft. of guy wires up the trunk.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jtwin2 said:


I would have 4 equal lengths of 8ft of guy wires. I would put the stakes in the ground 5ft from the base. In order to support the tree in bad weather, I would wrap the tree 2 ft around and wrap the stakes 1 ft around, therefore leaving me with 3 ft. of guy wires up the trunk.


Although that sounds very reasonable, I doubt that it is the intent of the problem statement that you include "wrapping".

In any case, can you draw a right triangle using the information you have?
 
If i draw a triangle from the information given, could I use the pythagorean theorem to solve the problem?
 
jtwin2 said:
If i draw a triangle from the information given, could I use the pythagorean theorem to solve the problem?
Why not?
 
jtwin2 said:
a2 + b2= c2

a^2 + 5^2= 8^2

a=6.24

??
Can you give the exact result, as √(something) ?
 
I don't know. So, do you think it would be best to leave the answer as √(39) ?
 
jtwin2 said:
I don't know. So, do you think it would be best to leave the answer as √(39) ?
What's the best way to leave the answer?

It may depend upon the explicit instructions.
 
It just says to write in paragrah form, similar to an essay test question.
 
jtwin2 said:
It just says to write in paragraph form, similar to an essay test question.
Well, in that case, maybe you do want to wrap some of the wire around the tree and some around each stake. -- not nearly as much as you first stated. --- Why?