How should I calculate the distance D with two different motions?

• Thread starter simphys
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah my apologies :) I needed to quickly switch to the phone to post the pic afterwards. But for some reason it always pixelates my picture lol, they look crisp and clear when I look at it on the camera roll, strangeeeMiraculous camera if it can clarify those scribbles o0)In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the method used to calculate the distance D in a projectile motion problem. The person asking the question is confused about why they need to add the displacement of the boat to the range of the projectile motion, while their own solution suggests subtracting it. The other person suggests that dealing with the signs properly should solve the problem. There is also a brief discussion about posting a picture of the solution,
simphys
Homework Statement
An important piece of landing equipment must be thrown to
a ship, which is moving at 45.0 cm>s, before the ship can dock. This
equipment is thrown at 15.0 m>s at 60.0° above the horizontal from the
top of a tower at the edge of the water, 8.75 m above the ship’s deck
(Fig. P3.54). For this equipment to land at the front of the ship, at what
distance D from the dock should the ship be when the equipment is
thrown? Ignore air resistance
Relevant Equations
kinematic equations
pic.png

My question is this:
So in my solution, to get D I *substracted* the displacement of the boat within the same time interfval of the projectile motion from the range of the projectile motion. whilst in the solutions it says that I need to *add* them together.
Question: Why do I need to add them as the boat is going in the opposition direction, and from my reasoning I would think that the distance D would become smaller this way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 144
Physics news on Phys.org
edit: forgot the solution

simphys said:
So in my solution
I don't see no solution ?
Please post your work...

Anyway, if you deal with the signs properly, this shouldn't be a problem...

##\ ##

BvU said:
I don't see no solution ?
Please post your work...

Anyway, if you deal with the signs properly, this shouldn't be a problem...

##\ ##
I have ?

Oh gosh my apologies... wow I just find out at that it is says the distance D from the time when the equipment is thrown... mine was at the end of the thrown then..

My apologies for posting!

simphys said:
I have ?
Yes, after I posted :biggrin:

[edit] can hardly decipher it anyway ...

BvU said:
Yes, after I posted :biggrin:

[edit] can hardly decipher it anyway ...
Yeah my apologies :) I needed to quickly switch to the phone to post the pic afterwards. But for some reason it always pixelates my picture lol, they look crisp and clear when I look at it on the camera roll, strangeee

Miraculous camera if it can clarify those scribbles o0)

Related to How should I calculate the distance D with two different motions?

1. What is the formula for calculating distance with two motions?

The formula for calculating distance (D) with two motions is D = (V1 x t1) + (V2 x t2), where V1 and V2 are the velocities of the two motions and t1 and t2 are the times for each motion.

2. How does the direction of motion affect the distance traveled?

The direction of motion does not affect the distance traveled. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only takes into account the magnitude of the displacement and not the direction.

3. Can the total distance traveled be greater than the sum of the individual distances?

Yes, the total distance traveled can be greater than the sum of the individual distances if the two motions are in opposite directions. In this case, the total distance traveled would be equal to the difference between the two distances.

4. How does the speed of the two motions affect the total distance traveled?

The speed of the two motions does not affect the total distance traveled. The distance traveled is determined by the magnitude of the displacement, not the speed at which it is traveled.

5. Can the total distance traveled be negative?

Yes, the total distance traveled can be negative if the two motions are in opposite directions and the distance of one motion is greater than the other. In this case, the total distance traveled would be equal to the difference between the two distances, with the negative sign indicating the direction of the net displacement.