Self-Studying Physics in 8 months for a University Entrance Exam

In summary, the person is studying Physics to get into a University to study masters in India, but they have some background in the subject. They are studying Mathematical Methods for Physical Sciences by Mary L Boas for that. They have 8 months left and are focusing on completing the entrance exam for a Masters in a top Indian university. They are not sure if this will help, but they have attached the syllabus they must cover along with the post.
I don't think we're getting through to you.

Your Plan A is to learn in 8 months what it takes most people 4 or 5 years to learn with all the benefits of the university environment, and to do it so well you can outcompete them for university admission.

Your Plan B is to learn in 8 months what it takes most people 4 or 5 years to learn with all the benefits of the university environment, and to do it so well you can outcompete almost all of them for university admission.

This might be a good time to remind you that the alphabet has 26 letters.

Likes PhDeezNutz and malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
To OP:

I had sent you a PM.

The first eight chapters of Boas encompass the math requirements in the syllabus entirely. You can definitely cover that much in eight months if you already know single variable calculus. However, I doubt that you could cover the other material in that time, even at the level of Halliday and Resnick, much less at upper division level implied in the syllabus. I would still recommend chewing into H&R as much as you can in that time and beyond if you want to study physics.

• Care
Likes Slimy0233 and gmax137
So we are almost 2 months into your plan, and you have covered about half (as far as I can tell) of one book of your list of 11, and it wasn't even on your list of 7.

Do you think it's time for a new plan?

• Care
Likes Slimy0233
Vanadium 50 said:
So we are almost 2 months into your plan, and you have covered about half (as far as I can tell) of one book of your list of 11, and it wasn't even on your list of 7.

Do you think it's time for a new plan?
Dear sir, I am really thankful for your concern, however, I am using them as reference books. My exams don't need me to read all of them and understand every concept in the book, so I need not read the whole book, but it's good to have them anyways. I will not be completing them, but I will be using them to understand concepts my tutor didn't do a good job of explaining and for extra reading.

Likes PeroK
Um...okay, but you;re still on freshman mechanics. Do you think you're ready for graduate study and can outcompete people who spent 4-5 years on this? When will it be time for a new plan?

We've now used 4 of the 8 months. Are you halfway done? If not, is it time for a new plan?

Vanadium 50 said:
We've now used 4 of the 8 months. Are you halfway done? If not, is it time for a new plan?
I don't know what the new plan is. I don't know what you are trying to do, probably knock some sense into me, but there is no "new plan". I do what I can do and write the exam 128 days from now.

Well, it;s up to you, but if the plan doesn't get you where you want to go, does it make more sense to keep it or to change it?

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, it;s up to you, but if the plan doesn't get you where you want to go, does it make more sense to keep it or to change it?
I don't like to entertain that question. What if this doesn't turn out how I want it to be. Yeah, that's terrifying. The alternate plan is nothing. I don't know. Do a Physics MSc in NIT and then try to get into Europe for a PhD. I need your help. I can't imagine myself doing anything but physics, Physics research to be more specific and I want to do it away from India in a free country.

But, I don't know if I want that life anymore, it has been struggle for me. I need to dm you! It's weird, but I want your advice.

Believe me when I say, I wasn't ignoring you, I was ignoring the question you posed, but things are way too real now. Can't ignore things any longer.

Vanadium 50 said:
Hey, what would you have as a backup plan if you were in my shoes? I mean, what would be your backup plan? My father can't work anymore, his savings can sustain the family for a few years until I finish my PhD, but yeah, taking another drop year is not an option and it's not even attractive at this point.

Part of what @Vanadium 50 is trying to get you to do is engage with the reality of the situation. You never answered if you were roughly a quarter done after two months or half done after four months in your eight month plan (assuming there was something that qualified as a plan and not just hope). Have you taken a practice test under realistic conditions to gauge how prepared you are?

Likes WWGD, russ_watters and PeroK
Haborix said:
Part of what @Vanadium 50 is trying to get you to do is engage with the reality of the situation. You never answered if you were roughly a quarter done after two months or half done after four months in your eight month plan (assuming there was something that qualified as a plan and not just hope). Have you taken a practice test under realistic conditions to gauge how prepared you are?
I am reconsidering everything right now. I don't know anything anymore. I am going to share a post I made to share everything I am going through.

I was on my way to do this when you commented.

Thread paused for Moderation...

After a Mentor discussion, this thread will also remain closed. Please talk with a trusted medical professional about your situation.

• Care
Likes gmax137 and Haborix