How Should I Spend My Time Studying?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for learning physics and programming in high school. The experts agree that learning math early is not a waste of time and that concentrating on Algebra and Algebra 2 is important. They also suggest using resources like Khan Academy and spending a majority of time working on problems to improve problem-solving skills. However, they also caution against burning out and suggest pacing oneself and finding a balance between studying and other activities.
Tyler133
I'm going to be a sophomore in high school very soon now and I want to learn some more physics since I want to major in physics in college so I decided that I should learn calculus first but in order to learn calculus I have to learn less advanced math so I thought that I should self study to learn Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Calculus and then I would study physics. However after thinking about it for awhile this seems like I could use my time more wisely. I will be taking all these math classes and more in high school so it seems like instead of using my time to learn something that I am eventually going to learn anyway that I should rather spend my time studying other things such as more basic physics that doesn't involve calculus, computer programming, etc. Does this strategy make more since then learning all that math or should I go ahead and learn the math?

Physics news on Phys.org
learning math early is not a waste of time. trigonometry and calculus are really easy concepts to understand if someone explains them to you intuitively, and you could achieve some level of proficiency in a day. If you're really curious, ask your parents to hire a tutor and sit down with him or her for 9 hours on a saturday.

programming would also be healthy skill at your age. knowing how to program enhances your general problem solving skill, just like math will.

0.02c.

'roidbreaker said:
learning math early is not a waste of time. trigonometry and calculus are really easy concepts to understand if someone explains them to you intuitively, and you could achieve some level of proficiency in a day. If you're really curious, ask your parents to hire a tutor and sit down with him or her for 9 hours on a saturday.

programming would also be healthy skill at your age. knowing how to program enhances your general problem solving skill, just like math will.

0.02c.

I agree. Concentrate on Algebra and Algebra 2. If you stay on track, you will reach the courses you need when you are ready for them. The one thing you should be aware, the time might be too early for you to go into more physics, but on the other hand, physics gives you more reasons and ways to USE both Algebra and computer programming. Still, concentrate first on further algebra. You can often find other ways to apply programming skills without doing something with physics.

I agree too, but it's been long enough since I was in high school that you should take anything I say with a grain of salt. Programming sounds like a good thing to learn - it was something that was mostly inaccessible in my day due to lack of access to good learning materials and the commercially available compilers.

I also say this: I read a lot ABOUT science. I think that was a good thing. I particularly like the ScienceNow blog now. But back in the day, I read a LOT of popular science books.

I was thinking that after school everyday I would watch what was taught in class on Khan Academy so the information presented could really be absorbed. Then I would use the extra time to study different subjects. Does this sound like a good plan? If not what else should I do?

No matter what subject you're studying, I believe the majority of your time should be spent working/solving problems. Watching videos and reading supplementary materials is fine, but the greatest benefit to your education will be learning how to think about and solve all different types of problems.

Even though the problem-solving process is straightforward, applying it to any problem you encounter is not always easy and will take a lot of practice.

Since you're in high school I would be sure to pace myself. You've got a lot of studying/working in your future.

In my case, I worked my way up from rarely-if-ever studying in high school, to medium (maybe three hours a night) studying in undergrad, to heavy (at least five hours seven days a week) when I was taking course work in graduate school, to insane (at least 10 hours a day, six or seven days a week, on top of my other duties) when I was studying for my Ph.D. screening and qualifying exams.

If I had started full bore right out of the gate in high school, I imagine I would have burned out. I almost did, anyway.

Just another perspective. I did goof around with computers and learned to program and stuff in middle school and high school but I considered that play, not studying.

I would also agree that working problems gives you the most bang-for-the-buck. It also exposes your weaknesses so it can guide your reading and lecture watching.

1. How much time should I spend studying each day?

The amount of time you should spend studying each day depends on your personal learning style and the difficulty of the material. Generally, it is recommended to spend 1-2 hours studying for every hour of class time. However, you may need to adjust this based on your understanding of the material and your individual needs.

2. Should I study one subject at a time or switch between subjects?

This also depends on your personal learning style. Some people find it helpful to focus on one subject at a time, while others prefer to switch between subjects to keep their studying more varied. It is important to find what works best for you and stick with it.

3. Is it better to study in short bursts or for longer periods of time?

Again, this varies based on individual preferences and the material being studied. Some people find it more effective to study in short bursts of 15-20 minutes with breaks in between, while others prefer longer study sessions of 1-2 hours. Experiment to find what works best for you.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while studying?

One effective way to manage your time while studying is to create a schedule or study plan. Prioritize tasks and allocate specific time slots for each subject or task. It is also important to take breaks and not overwork yourself, as this can lead to burnout and decreased productivity.

5. Should I study alone or with a group?

This depends on the material and your personal learning style. Some subjects may be better learned through group discussions and collaboration, while others may require more individual focus. It is important to find a balance and determine what method works best for you.