How Steep is the Hill if a Car Uses More Power Climbing It?

  • Thread starter Thread starter curly_ebhc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
curly_ebhc
Messages
35
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


There is a car of mass 1900kg that travels at a steady speed of 27 m/s up and down a hill. The force of friction is the same in both directions and it takes 49 more horsepower to go up the hill than down the hill. What is the inclination of the hill.

Given: mass of car= 1900kg , velocity = 27 m/s, difference in power =49 hp =35000 W.

I set it up as an energy problem. First I got rid of time and set that for every second the car traveled 27 m and the difference in the (change in) energy was 35000 J.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Step 1: I set ∆PE(up) -∆PE(down) = 35000J
Then 2∆PE(up)=35000J

Step 2: I used potential energy

h= 35000J/[2(1900kg)(10 m/s2) = .92 m

Step 3: A set up a right triangle: hypotenuse=27m and height=.92m

I used theta=arcsine (.92m/27m) = 1.95 Degrees.

I don’t know the answer but I think that I did everything correctly. Can anyone find a mistake?
 
Physics news on Phys.org