1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How tightening a string affects frequency?

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How does tightening or loosening a string affect the frequency of the note? make specific references to the relationship between fundamental frequency and the standing wave in the string.

Use mathematical arguments from physics to demonstrate the relationships between the variables that you include in your answer.

2. Relevant equations

None as far as I know

3. The attempt at a solution

I figure that tightening the string increases wavelength, but decreases frequency. I don't know how to incorporate fundamental frequency and standing waves.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you ever played the guitar, by any chance? If so, think about how you tune it!

As for the mathematical / physical argument: do you happen to know of any formulas that relate length to frequency? (Or something else to frequency, with a standing wave)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook