How to add a few logic symbols to LyX?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liji.h
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Logic Symbols
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Liji.h
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I think LyX is a great program. However, as a beginner, I am having trouble with adding new symbols.

I am taking a Mathematical Logic course as a graduate student, as the assignments get harder and harder, the default mathematics symbols simply don't cut it anymore, so my professor gave me 2 sty files(see attached).

I am running a windows vista 64bit

my LyX installation path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX16

my latex installation path is(i think)

C:\CTEX\MiKTeX

will someone please kindly explain what exactly i need to do? I am not a lazy person that expects everything to be fed to me, I have tried to figure out this myself, but after roughly 5.5 hours of trying(google for and follow instructions), I simply realized, it's beyond my capability.

I have three classmates who I introduced LyX to, so they know even less about LyX. We are trying to submit our term project by next Friday, we have everything figured out we just need to type everything up. I promised them that I will figure out a solution this weekend because I didn't think it would be this hard.

I give my sincere thanks to anyone that tries to help.
 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
my professor doesn't even use Lyx...he uses more advanced editors...
 
If you have the MiKTeX installation, the default TeXworks editor should be installed. However, it's basically a more advanced version of notepad, or less advanced version of Emacs / VI--i.e. it's for coding in. Which is fine, since [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] (actual LaTeX) is more like coding, rather than the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) word processors that most of us have used most of our lives.

LyX allows you to enter inline LaTeX equations, giving you access to the full array of (built-in) LaTeX equation (and symbol) writing goodness, as per page 8 of the following LyX tutorial document:
http://www.math.tamu.edu/~phoward/m442/lyx141.pdf

How do you find the LaTeX code which would give you your desired results? Today, I was looking for the less-than-or-equal-to symbol. So I Googled for the phrase 'less than equal to in latex' and up popped the result: $\leq$

(Note that the $ signs tell LaTeX that the stuff in-between them is in the math mode or math environment. LyX probably just let's you get away with writing in a \leq -- unless, as the tutorial alludes to, you wish to turn math mode on and off within a math equation!)

I'm somewhat skeptical that the .sty files allow you to unlock secret symbols (too much Civ? Nah...) as these are style documents that (usually) define formatting and style. On the other hand, these might, for instance, include the amsmath library and allow access to the symbols included therein. LyX should also allow you to include these packages, and with the in-line editor, make use of them.

When you finally have an hour or two (that's actually all it takes!) I'd highly recommend taking the red pill and diving past the colourful and friendly-looking LyX and into the real world of [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] by going over "The (Not So) Short Introduction to LaTeX2e", available along with other documents (such as the cheat sheet hanging over my desk) and tutorials at:
http://www.tug.org/begin.html

Good luck!

EDIT: If you're in a 'mathy' field (e.g. math, physics, EE, CS, etc.) knowledge of LaTeX is almost a requirement, and is the de-facto standard. Heck, as you've seen above, it's so ubiquitous that even PhysicsForums can interpret it!