Problem with Anaconda installation

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with starting up Anaconda Prompt due to a conflict with an old Xtralien python installation. The solution is to remove the old Xtralien references from the PATH and change it in the System Panel. This can be done by going to advanced settings in Windows 10 and 8, or by right-clicking the Computer icon and choosing Properties in Windows 7.
Enigman
This is what comes up any time I start up Anaconda Prompt -
Python:
    \Xtralien was unexpected at this time.
    C:\Users\User Name>            @SET "PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\QuantumWise\VNL-ATK-2016.3\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelSGXPSW\bin\x64\Release\;C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelSGXPSW\bin\win32\Release\;C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.1\Perl\bin;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2017a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2017a\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuantumWise\VNL-ATK-2016.3\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelSGXPSW\bin\x64\Release\;C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelSGXPSW\bin\win32\Release\;C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX 2.1\Perl\bin;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2017a\runtime\win64;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2017a\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;"C:\Program Files (x86)\Xtralien Python Distribution\Scripts";"C:\Program Files (x86)\Xtralien Python Distribution";c:\FullProf_Suite"
    C:\Users\User Name>
I am guessing it's because of a conflict with an old Xtralien python installation that I had and forgot about. I uninstalled that and reinstalled Anaconda but it hasn't resolved the problem.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You have to remove the old xtralian references in the PATH. Its at the end of the PATH definition.

I think there's system dialog where you can change it for the system or the user which is described below for Java as an example:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

You need to open the System Panel and go to advanced settings:

Windows 10 and Windows 8
  1. In Search, search for and then select: System (Control Panel)
  2. Click the Advanced system settings link.
  3. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit. If the PATH environment variable does not exist, click New.
  4. In the Edit System Variable (or New System Variable) window, specify the value of the PATHenvironment variable. Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.
  5. Reopen Command prompt window, and run your java code.
Windows 7
  1. From the desktop, right click the Computer icon.
  2. Choose Properties from the context menu.
  3. Click the Advanced system settings link.
  4. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit. If the PATH environment variable does not exist, click New.
  5. In the Edit System Variable (or New System Variable) window, specify the value of the PATHenvironment variable. Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.
  6. Reopen Command prompt window, and run your java code.

1. Why is my Anaconda installation not working?

There could be several reasons why your Anaconda installation is not working. Some common reasons include network connectivity issues, incorrect installation steps, or conflicts with other software on your computer.

2. How can I troubleshoot my Anaconda installation?

To troubleshoot your Anaconda installation, you can try reinstalling it, checking for any error messages during installation, or running diagnostics to identify any potential issues. You can also consult the official Anaconda documentation or seek help from the community forums.

3. Can I install Anaconda on any operating system?

Yes, Anaconda can be installed on various operating systems including Windows, macOS, and Linux. However, some features may vary based on the operating system, so it is recommended to check the system requirements before installation.

4. How long does it take to install Anaconda?

The installation time for Anaconda can vary depending on your internet speed and the components you choose to install. On average, it takes around 10-20 minutes to install Anaconda.

5. Can I install Anaconda without administrator privileges?

Yes, you can install Anaconda without administrator privileges by choosing to install it for your user only instead of all users during the installation process. However, some features may be limited in this type of installation.