1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to address experimental error in conclusion

1. Dec 12, 2015 #1
    I am writing an essay which includes the experimental "verification" of a theory. As it turns out, the theory was able to predict a certain variable F's direction of change (i.e. increase or decrease across two data points) "correctly" for 90% of the time, and predicts the value of F at each point with an average error of 0.5Newtons.

How should I say the theory is "proven" and to what extent in the experiment's summary?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Proven? What about the 10% of the time or the ##\pm## .5N? That's what you want to talk about, not that they theory was "proven." What were sources of error, ways to design a better experiment? Limits on results?

How did you analyze your data?

4. Dec 12, 2015 #3
    The method I used is kind of inappropriate, I monitored two independent variables and used the theory to get the dependent, the dependent is also measured experimentally. After that, the predicted values of the dependent F is compared to the empirically observed F.

5. Dec 13, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then you might want to do a statistical analysis on your data set.

6. Dec 13, 2015 #5
    I am afraid that this reply is not specific enough. What kind of results should the analysis yield and how are they related to the verification/falsification of the theory?

7. Dec 13, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm afraid that's for you to figure out. But generally, if you have a theory that you want to verify experimentally, then using a statistical analysis is crucial. Just saying "it predicts it correctly 90% of the time" is not saying much. You need to study the errors and whether the errors are significant enough to reject the theory. I suggest you study confidence intervals and hypothesis testing. Maybe even regression analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook