How to apply Coulomb's law for a system with a dielectric slab?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrostatics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
sankalpmittal
Messages
785
Reaction score
27

Homework Statement



Two similar point charges q1 and q2 are placed at a distance r apart in the air. A dielectric slab of thickness t(<<r) having dielectric constant K is placed between the charges. Calculate the coulomb force of repulsion between the charges.

Now assume that a slab of thickness half the separation between the charges and the Coulomb's repulsive force is reduced in the ratio 9:4. Calculate K for such a slab.


Homework Equations



Coulomb's law :

F=q1q2/4πεr2

where ε=εoK



The Attempt at a Solution



I am not sure. For such a system how should I apply Coulomb's law ? We have a dielectric slab between the system. So how to make that law apply here ?

I just thought that I have to transform the given system to its equivalent vacuum one, but how should I do that ?

Please help !

Thanks in advance...:smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help me please ? I am really clueless. :(
 
Hi Sankalp

sankalpmittal said:
I just thought that I have to transform the given system to its equivalent vacuum one, but how should I do that ?

You have the right idea .

First convert the slab width 't' into effective air separation . Can you do that ?
 
Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Sankalp



You have the right idea .

First convert the slab width 't' into effective air separation . Can you do that ?

Thanks..

If we hypothetically bring the two charges with the separation "t", then

q1q2/4πεoKt2 = q1q2/4πεox2

Solving we get x=√(K)t

Then in the actual system, effective separation is d-t+x ? Right ?

BTW, are you an IIT aspirant ?
 
sankalpmittal said:
Thanks..

If we hypothetically bring the two charges with the separation "t", then

q1q2/4πεoKt2 = q1q2/4πεox2

Solving we get x=√(K)t

Correct.

sankalpmittal said:
Then in the actual system, effective separation is d-t+x ? Right ?

r-t+x
 
Tanya Sharma said:
Correct.
r-t+x

Ya ya... I mistyped... I always do... d for distance...

Now with this information I solved both the parts completely...

Thanks a lot ! The answer matches with the key. :)