How to approach a more perfect blackbody?

In summary: I don't have the necessary background to help with that, perhaps someone else can get further into the details...
Ron19932017
I wonder how an object, like our sun, can approach a more perfect blackbody.
We know that by the wiki definition, blackbody is something that absorb all radiation and is in thermal equilibrium. Its spectrum only depends on T.

We also know that, our Sun's spectrum is blackbody like, while a galaxy/nebula's spectrum is not. I heard explanations like we require the gas to be dense to be a blackbody. That's where my confusion comes.

1.) Suppose our sun is twice denser, does that means it more blackbody-like? and why?
2.) Except from the emission/absorption line, our Sun's continuous spectrum is offset from a perfect blackbody. Is this discrepency due to the density of the Sun not high enough?
3.) Does hot diffuse gas have emission lines, plus a non-blackbody-like continuous spectrum? I wonder how one can calculate that non-blackbody-like continuous spectrum, assuming the diffuse gas is in thermal equalibrium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are missing the point that an "ideal" blackbody doesn't reflect or emit any light except for "blackbody" radiation due to temperature.
Ron19932017 said:
I wonder how an object, like our sun, can approach a more perfect blackbody.
By putting it in a highly insulated box, shutting down all nuclear reactions, et cetera, anything that brings it closer to thermal equilibrium.

jerromyjon said:
I think you are missing the point that an "ideal" blackbody doesn't reflect or emit any light except for "blackbody" radiation due to temperature.

By putting it in a highly insulated box, shutting down all nuclear reactions, et cetera, anything that brings it closer to thermal equilibrium.
Yes, you are right. Our Sun is not blackbody-like in the fusion site, but it is blackbody like at the surface.
Maybe I should address the question like this: How can we modify the photosphere to make it a better blackbody? Can we do it by increasing the density, and why?

Ron19932017 said:
How can we modify the photosphere to make it a better blackbody? Can we do it by increasing the density, and why?
What do you think would happen to the blackbody emissions if you increased the density? Would the temperature change?

jerromyjon said:
What do you think would happen to the blackbody emissions if you increased the density? Would the temperature change?
Thanks for your reply. If we put gases directly on the surface of the Sun we increases the Sun's pressure so it will be hotter.

However I think we can still just imagine a situation that, the surface shell is departed from the fusion core, like the gas sit in a shell-shaped container and are being heated from central sunlight. Therefore these gas in the shell absorbs inner radiation, and re-emit them by thermal radiation. In that case we should be able to talk about changing the density without changing the temperature, although I am not sure how to tune the volume and pressure of the shell of gas..

Ron19932017 said:
In that case we should be able to talk about changing the density without changing the temperature, although I am not sure how to tune the volume and pressure of the shell of gas..
I don't have the necessary background to help with that, perhaps someone else can get further into the details...

1. How Does a Blackbody Work?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation equally. It does this by having a perfectly efficient absorptive and emissive surface, making it appear completely black to our eyes. This absorption and emission of radiation is governed by the laws of thermodynamics and is essential for understanding the behavior of blackbodies.

2. What is the Importance of a Blackbody?

Blackbodies are important in the study of thermodynamics and radiation because they provide a theoretical standard for comparison. They also have practical applications, such as in thermal imaging and in the design of solar panels, which rely on blackbody radiation for efficiency.

3. How Can We Approach a More Perfect Blackbody?

To approach a more perfect blackbody, we must minimize the amount of reflected light and maximize the amount of absorbed and emitted radiation. This can be achieved by using materials with high emissivity and low reflectivity, such as carbon or black paint, and enclosing the object in a highly reflective and thermally insulating container.

4. What Factors Affect the Perfection of a Blackbody?

The perfection of a blackbody is affected by factors such as the material it is made of, its surface texture, and its temperature. Materials with high conductivity and low reflectivity, such as metals, make better blackbodies. A smoother surface also improves the perfection of a blackbody, as it reduces the amount of light scattered. Additionally, the perfection of a blackbody increases with temperature, as higher temperatures result in a greater amount of radiation being emitted.

5. How Is Blackbody Radiation Related to the Color of an Object?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of visible light that it reflects. Blackbodies, which absorb all wavelengths of light, appear black to our eyes. However, as the temperature of a blackbody increases, it begins to emit visible light, appearing red at lower temperatures and transitioning to white at higher temperatures. This is known as blackbody radiation and is responsible for the colors we see in objects that are heated to high temperatures, such as glowing hot metal.