How to arrive the glass thickness ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a formula to determine the required thickness of a small, water-resistant glass window that can withstand different pressure-differences. The glass shape options include round, square, and rectangular, with a supported area of 40.00 mm and an unsupported area of 33.00 mm. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of attaching images to the forum post and suggested looking at divers' supplies or scientific glassware notes for guidance on constructing the glass.
rainbowrgb
I have a glass which will act external water pressure of 10ATM and it is fully housed with the center opening(Consider wrist watch). What is the formula to get the required thickness. Say your diameter of the glass or area of the glass is fixed. And the formula required for different profiles say Round, Rectangular, Square, Oval, Tonneau and special profiles

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I take it English is not your first language?

Lets see if I understand you...
You want to use a small flat sheet of glass as the active component in a pressure gauge - is that correct?

Thanks for your reply and your understanding. I am explaining in details...

Basically i am looking a formula to arrive glass thickness and my input will be of Water resistance and the unit is in ATM. (Example 3ATM, 5 ATM and 10ATM). Configuration will be of fully supported and uniform distributed load and the load here can be of 5ATM. Glass shape will be of either round, Square, Rectangle with the supported are. Say Glass Dia is 40.00 mm and the unsupported area will be of Dia 33.00 mm. With the above details we need to arrive what should be the glass thickness should be designed ?. I am new to this forum. Is it possible to attach some JPG files here ? If so pleas confirm i can send the 3D image or 2D image

You can attach images to posts in this forum by using the advanced interface (see: "go advanced" below). You can also upload images to another site and link to them.

Now it sounds like you just want to make a small water-resistant window which can be rated to withstand different pressure-differences. In which case, your seal is more of a constraint than the thickness of the glass.

Still need to know what kind of glass - but if it is for an instrument you are constructing yourself then you should probably look at divers' supplies or scientific glassware notes like:
http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/techdata.html#nomogram
... which has a discussion of making glass to withstand pressure differences as well as a nomogram for cylinders. You should be able to find others or just look for a commercial gauge with similar dimensions to the one you want to make and make note of how thick the glass is.

1. How do you determine the appropriate thickness for a glass?

In order to determine the appropriate thickness for a glass, various factors need to be considered such as the size of the glass, its purpose, and its location. Additionally, the type of glass (e.g. tempered, laminated, etc.) and the amount of weight or pressure it will be subjected to also play a role in determining the appropriate thickness.

2. What is the standard thickness for glass?

The standard thickness for glass can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, for residential or commercial use, the standard thickness for glass is typically between 3mm to 10mm. For thicker and more durable glass, the standard thickness can range from 12mm to 19mm.

3. Can the thickness of glass affect its strength?

Yes, the thickness of glass can greatly affect its strength. Thicker glass is generally stronger and able to withstand more weight or pressure. However, the type of glass and its installation method also play a significant role in determining its strength.

4. How can I calculate the appropriate glass thickness for a specific project?

Calculating the appropriate glass thickness for a specific project can be a complex process that requires knowledge of engineering and structural design. It is best to consult with a professional glass manufacturer or engineer who can accurately determine the appropriate thickness based on the specific project requirements.

5. Are there any building codes or regulations regarding glass thickness?

Yes, there are building codes and regulations that specify the minimum thickness requirements for glass in certain applications. These codes and regulations are put in place to ensure the safety and durability of the glass. It is important to consult with local authorities and adhere to these codes when determining the appropriate glass thickness for a project.