How to be a better problem solver

• Thread starter Woopy
  • Start date
In summary, this person recommends working on problems of some sort, thinking about what you are doing, and asking others for help. They also recommend reading books on problem solving.
Woopy
I am trying to get some tips for being a better problem solver, I struggle in physics and essentially all physics is is problem solving, so the fundamental root to my problem is a lack of problem solving skills. How can I improve them, because being a problem solver is so important in the world

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid there is only one way: solve more problems.

All problems require some little trick, some extra insight. And once you've seen it, they can't take it away from you. The more problems you solve, the better you'll be.

I remember the first day I saw epsilon-delta proofs. I was horrible at it, I couldn't solve one problem. But after working hard and doing a lot of problems, I can finally say that I can play with those things. The same is with every kind of problem.

Don't get discourages. Rome wasn't built in one day. Don't expect to be able to do hard problems right away. But if you work hard, then I guarantee that you will get there.

So take your textbook and stark working some problems! (and with that, I mean the hard problems. Solving easy plug-and-chug things is silly).

Woopy said:
I am trying to get some tips for being a better problem solver, I struggle in physics and essentially all physics is is problem solving, so the fundamental root to my problem is a lack of problem solving skills. How can I improve them, because being a problem solver is so important in the world

Just work on problems of some sort. Also it will probably benefit you if you work on a variety of different problems and not just problems in one specific area.

There are books on heuristics like Polya's How To Solve It which you may want to read, but yeah they should be complementary and not a substitute.

Also take the time to think about what you are doing. Do a mental post-mortem on what you did and evaluate what went right, what went wrong, what could be improved, and what you learned in the context of knowledge and experience.

Finally ask yourself what the big picture is: there is usually only a handful of key ideas that set the stage for everything else and its critical that you know and understand these. A problem is just one instance of the application of a core idea, and if you don't know the core ideas properly, you won't be able to stand back and really see what you are doing.

With respect to the above its a good idea to ask your lecturer, TA, professor or even someone here at PF if you don't know where you are going with something.

This book has helped me become a better problem solver in every way. Highly recommend it. I'm still working my way through it and already I can already feel myself more confident and imaginative when solving problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471789011/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Reviewers of the book I linked to above criticize it for 1) being too advanced and 2) not having enough solved problems. Both legitimate complaints. There are very few solved problems in the book.

So here is another:

I don't have this one, but I have "How to Prove it" and love it. . .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/069111966X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to be a better problem solver?

Critical thinking skills can be improved by practicing active listening, questioning assumptions, and considering alternative perspectives. It is also important to gather and analyze information before making a decision, and to be open to feedback and new ideas.

2. What strategies can I use to approach problem-solving more effectively?

Some strategies for effective problem-solving include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, brainstorming multiple solutions, and using trial and error. It can also be helpful to seek advice from others and to take breaks when feeling stuck.

3. How can I overcome obstacles and challenges while problem-solving?

To overcome obstacles and challenges while problem-solving, it is important to maintain a positive attitude and to persevere through setbacks. It can also be helpful to re-evaluate the problem and try a different approach if necessary.

4. How can I become more creative in my problem-solving approach?

To become more creative in problem-solving, try brainstorming with a group, using mind mapping techniques, and looking at the problem from different angles. Also, be open to unconventional solutions and don't be afraid to take risks.

5. How can I continuously improve my problem-solving skills?

Continuous improvement of problem-solving skills can be achieved through regular practice and seeking out new challenges. It can also be helpful to reflect on past problem-solving experiences and identify areas for improvement. Seeking feedback from others can also aid in improvement.