Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate 2D packing fractions?

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    I have a question regarding various planes in an FCC, and determine their packing fractions.

I searched but couldn't find anything :)

For example, one of the planes is the (100) plane, and I have said there are 2 full atoms (1 in the middle, and 4 quarters from each side), distance 'a' apart. Using the usual packing fraction equation ((Volume of atom x number of atoms)/Volume of cell), but replacing the volume with area, I calculate this to be pi/2, which is wrong because it can't be higher than one :confused:

My exact numbers were:
    Area of a circle = pi x r², where r=a/2
    -> (pi x a²/4) x 2 (-# of atoms) / a²
    The a² cancels, as does the 4 with the 2 to leave pi over 2.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

Why do you assume the area of the cell to be a²?

If you have a look at the diagonal line of your cell area, you get the maximum packing fraction if the atoms exactly touch each other. So the diagonal line must have a length of:
    a (full atom) + 2* a/2 (quarter of 2 other atoms) =2 a.

So using Pythagoras you will get that the side lines of your area will have a length of sqrt(2) a, which leads to a cell area of 2 a².

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3
    Ace, cheers :D Didn't make sense initially but then it clicked :P

Managed to work it through to get pi/4, and managed to solve the (110) and (111) plane in a similar way :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?