How to calculate a commutator from hydrogen atom radial equation

In summary, the commutator of the differential operators \frac{d}{d\rho} and \frac{1}{\rho} is calculated using the product rule, and the complex conjugate of a differential operator involves using the "inverse product rule" or integration by parts.
DragonPetter
This is not homework, but is not general discussion, so not sure where this would go.

In class we were deriving with the radial equations of a hydrogen atom, and in one of the equations was the commutator term:

[tex]\left[ \frac{d}{d\rho}, \frac{1}{\rho}\right][/tex]

my attempt was:
[tex]\left[ \frac{d}{d\rho}, \frac{1}{\rho}\right][/tex]
=
[tex]\left(\frac{d}{d\rho} \cdot \frac{1}{\rho}\right) - - \left(\frac{1}{\rho} \cdot \frac{d}{d\rho}\right) = 2\left(\frac{d}{d\rho}\frac{1}{\rho}\right) = \frac{-2}{\rho^{2}}[/tex]

I know above is incorrect, but how is this commutator calculated? For some reason when I try, I get the wrong result, but I'm confused on exactly how to do it.

Also, I am confused on how to accept that the complex conjugate of [tex]\frac{d}{d\rho} = \frac{-d}{d\rho}[/tex].

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you operate on a wave-function with the commutator

[tex]\left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}, \frac{1}{\rho}\right]=\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\frac{1}{\rho}-\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}[/tex]

The first term [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\frac{1}{\rho}[/itex] tell you to first multiply the wavefunction by [itex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/itex] and then take the partial derivative of the result with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]...that means, you are taking the derivative of a product of two functions, and so you need to use the product rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\frac{1}{\rho}\psi=-\frac{1}{\rho^2}\psi+\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial \rho}[/tex]

So, in operator form,

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\frac{1}{\rho}=-\frac{1}{\rho^2}+\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial }{\partial \rho}[/tex]

DragonPetter said:
Also, I am confused on how to accept that the complex conjugate of [tex]\frac{d}{d\rho} = \frac{-d}{d\rho}[/tex].
You are probably thinking of the Hermitian conjugate or adjoint. Basically, for differential operators this amounts to "integration by parts" (or what a friend of mine would call the "inverse product rule"):

f(x)(dg/dx) = d(f(x)g(x))/dx - (df/dx)g(x)

So, when there is a funciton f(x) on the left and a function g(x) on the right, the derivative can "act to the right" on g(x), like normal, or it can "act to the left" on f(x) with an extra minus sign. However, you must take care to deal with the "surface terms" - the extra "total derivative" that appears on the RHS.

To relate this to complex conjugation:
The complex conjugate of an inner product is equal to the inner product in which the bra and ket have switched places. So, for differential operators, this causes the derivative to "act in the opposite direction".

1. What is a commutator and why is it important in the hydrogen atom radial equation?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that calculates the difference between two operators. In the hydrogen atom radial equation, the commutator is used to determine the order of the operators, which is crucial in solving the equation and understanding the behavior of the atom.

2. How do you calculate a commutator from the hydrogen atom radial equation?

To calculate a commutator from the hydrogen atom radial equation, you need to first identify the operators involved in the equation. Then, use the commutator formula, [A,B] = AB - BA, to calculate the commutator. This will give you a new operator that represents the difference between the two original operators.

3. Can the commutator from the hydrogen atom radial equation be simplified?

Yes, the commutator from the hydrogen atom radial equation can be simplified by using the properties of commutators, such as linearity and distributivity. This can help make the equation easier to solve and understand.

4. How does the commutator affect the solution of the hydrogen atom radial equation?

The commutator plays a crucial role in determining the solution of the hydrogen atom radial equation. It helps to determine the order of the operators, which affects the behavior of the atom and ultimately leads to the solution of the equation.

5. Are there any other applications of the commutator besides the hydrogen atom radial equation?

Yes, the commutator has various applications in mathematics and physics, including quantum mechanics, group theory, and differential equations. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of systems and in solving complex equations.