How to calculate CBR lambda vs age of universe?

In summary, the CBR wavelength in the relatively mature universe can be calculated as a function of age using the scale factor of the universe, which varies linearly with time. The black body temperature at the time of recombination, which ranges from 13.6 eV to 3000K, can be used to determine the starting wavelength for the CBR, which is currently 1.8mm. The wavelength of the CBR a billion years ago can be approximated by multiplying the current wavelength by the ratio of the age of the universe a billion years ago to the current age. However, this is only an approximation as the scale factor does not vary linearly with time. For more accurate calculations, the LCDM model and
Fire Tech
hello,

I'm wondering how to calculate, even approximately for the relatively mature universe, what the CBR wavelength was as a function of age of the universe. I get that the CBR began during recombination, though have read different values for the black body temperature at that recombination time from H ionization value 13.6 eV, to about 3000K. Those give starting wavelength for CBR of 91nm and 965nm respectively, though have read it started from 400nm to 800nm elsewhere. Currently, the CBR is 1.8mm lambda. But, what was it a billion years ago, or 5 billion years ago? Does it just vary linearly with age of universe such that the start was close to zero, so as a good (simple) approximation I could just take the current wavelength 1.83mm * (12.7 / 13.7) = 1.69 mm? for the CBR value a billion years ago (12.7 and 13.7 being the age of universe a billion years ago, or today, respectively.

Thanks,
rt

Space news on Phys.org
Fire Tech said:
hello,

I'm wondering how to calculate, even approximately for the relatively mature universe, what the CBR wavelength was as a function of age of the universe. I get that the CBR began during recombination, though have read different values for the black body temperature at that recombination time from H ionization value 13.6 eV, to about 3000K. Those give starting wavelength for CBR of 91nm and 965nm respectively, though have read it started from 400nm to 800nm elsewhere. Currently, the CBR is 1.8mm lambda. But, what was it a billion years ago, or 5 billion years ago? Does it just vary linearly with age of universe such that the start was close to zero, so as a good (simple) approximation I could just take the current wavelength 1.83mm * (12.7 / 13.7) = 1.69 mm? for the CBR value a billion years ago (12.7 and 13.7 being the age of universe a billion years ago, or today, respectively.

Thanks,
rt

I think you have a good starting point, better than I would have come up with for sure! But I don't see your calculation take into consideration the expansion of space and its apparent changes, I'm no scientist but it seems this would have to factor in somewhere...

Wavelength is proportional to the scale factor of the universe, and the scale factor does vary linearly with time.

[EDIT]"does vary" should be "does not vary"[/EDIT]

Last edited:
George Jones said:
[EDIT]"does vary" should be "does not vary"[/EDIT]
However, it is a good approximation for the time after the CMB was created.

Edit: Ok, I underestimated gravity.

though have read different values for the black body temperature at that recombination time from H ionization value 13.6 eV, to about 3000K
To get long mean free path lengths (as you want photons which survive), the temperature has to be below these 13.6eV by some significant factor.

Last edited:
However, it is a good approximation for the time after the CMB was created.
Not really. The CMB has a redshift of 1089 or so, but the universe is some 36000 times older now.
From the redshift you can deduce an original temperature of 2967 K.

In terms of actual math, the functional dependence of the scale factor on time is close to

[tex]\sinh^{\frac{2}{3}}t.[/tex]

George Jones said:
In terms of actual math, the functional dependence of the scale factor on time is close to

[tex]\sinh^{\frac{2}{3}}t.[/tex]

Right, but the formula doesn't work without the correct scaling of t in the sinh:
[tex]\sinh^{\frac{2}{3}}\left( 1.5 H_0 \sqrt{\Omega_{\Lambda}}t \right).[/tex]

Thanks for the equations and please forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what values to plug in for the variables / constants in the sinh equation...

Could you let me know what the CBR wavelength would have been, 1, 3, and 6 billion years ago and please show the math so I can then plug in other numbers on my own?

thanks,

rt

The formula ist the last one in the German wikipedia. I hope someone can provide an English reference.

[itex]\Omega_{\Lambda}[/itex] is the fraction of Dark Energy of the total Energy of the universe. It is ~0.73.
[itex]H_0[/itex] is the Hubble parameter, about 1/(13.7 bn years).
You plug in the time now (also 13.7 bn years) and get a number (the scale factor).
You plug in another time, say, 1 bn years ago = 12.7 bn years and get another number.
The ratio of these numbers is also the ratio of the respective wavelengths.

The formula is still an approximation. For the correct numbers according to the LCDM model, use Ned Wright's cosmology calculator.

1. How do you calculate the CBR lambda?

The CBR lambda can be calculated using the formula lambda = hc/kT, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the universe.

2. What is the significance of CBR lambda in the study of the universe?

CBR lambda, or the cosmic background radiation constant, is an important parameter in understanding the age and evolution of the universe. It is used to measure the average temperature of the universe and can provide insights into the early stages of the universe.

3. How does the age of the universe affect the calculation of CBR lambda?

The age of the universe is directly related to the temperature of the universe, which is a factor in the calculation of CBR lambda. As the universe expands and cools, the CBR lambda also changes, and this can be used to estimate the age of the universe.

4. Is there a standard value for CBR lambda?

Yes, the current accepted value for CBR lambda is approximately 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000116 Kelvin^-1. However, this value may vary depending on the method of calculation and the assumptions made.

5. How does the calculation of CBR lambda contribute to our understanding of the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began with a hot, dense state and has been expanding and cooling ever since. The calculation of CBR lambda helps to support this theory by providing evidence for the early high temperatures of the universe and the subsequent expansion and cooling.