How to Calculate Decibel Levels at Different Distances from a Sound Source?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ninaw21
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
ninaw21
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A car horn sounds and 15 m away the sound level is recorded as 85 dB.
Calculate the decibel level 25 m away from the horn.

Homework Equations



β = (10dB)logI/Io

β = (20dB)logP/Po

The Attempt at a Solution



I = P/A @ 15m
A = 4∏r2
A = 2827
I = 15/2827 = 0.005W/m

β = 10dBlog0.005/10-12
= 87dB

I = P/A @ 25m
A = 4∏r2
A = 7854
I = 25/7854 = 0.003W/m

β = 10dBlog0.003/10-12
= 85dB

I don't know if I'm even heading in the right direction with this one!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ninaw21! :smile:

How did you get that P would be 15? It isn't true. P is unknown (as yet).

Please note that you are using two different versions of P here.
The P in your relevant equation is actually the sound pressure, usually denoted with a small p.
The P in the equation I = P/A is the power of the source.


You do have that at 15 m: β = (10dB)logI15/Io = 85 dB
and furthermore that I15 = P/A at 15 m.
From this you can calculate what I25/I15 is. Do you know how?
 
Thank you! No I don't know how to calculate it can you explain it please?
 
You already wrote that A = 4∏r2.

So I15 = P / 4∏152.
And I25 = P / 4∏252.
In both cases P is the (unknown) power of the source.

Can you divide I25 by I15?
 
I divided I25 by I15 and got a decibel level of 3dB..Is that not very low?
 
Hmm, suppose you add 3dB to the original decibel level... then the sound would be louder at 25 m? That can't be right...

Anyway, if I try to find the dB level, I do not get 3 dB...

Let's do one thing at a time.
What is I25/I15?

After that, what is the corresponding decibel level, which is 10log(I25/I15)?
 
Let's see...

I25 / I15 = (P / 4∏252) / (P / 4∏152) = 152 / 252.

erm... no that is not 2.78...