Reducing Decibel Levels: How Far Should You Move from a Loudspeaker?

• Thread starter duhduhduh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decibels
In summary, the person is at a rock concert and estimates the decibel level to be 112 dB at a distance of 12.1 m from the loudspeaker. They want to move farther away to reduce the decibel level to 89 dB and avoid potential hearing damage. They have a solution but want to confirm if it is correct. The solution involves calculating intensity and power using the given decibel levels and distance, and then solving for the distance needed to reach the desired decibel level. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation of intensity values. It is also mentioned that it is not necessary to compute the total power to solve the problem and that the difference in decibel levels can be used to determine the needed distance
duhduhduh

Homework Statement

You are at a rock concert, standing 12.1 m from one of the loudspeakers. Based on the pain in your ears, you estimate the decibel level to be about 112 dB at this location. You are worried that this intensity level may be harmful to your ears and result in a degradation of your hearing in years to come, so you want to move farther away from the loudspeaker to reduce the sound to a "dull roar" at a decibel level of 89 dB. From your present location, how much farther away from the loudspeaker would you have to move to reach this reduced decibel level?

Homework Equations

B = 10log(I/I(0))

P = I(4pi*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a solution, but want to make sure I'm not going down the wrong path.

First, I calculated the Intensity for 112dB and 89 dB and got 0.158 and 7.94e-4, respectively. Then, I calculated the Power using the given distance and first intensity and got 290.7W. Then, I used that Power and the 2nd intensity to solve for r.

Does this look like the right method? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to work backwards to figure out what you're using for your value of I(0) by using the value of I that you got for each of your B's, and the first equation you posted. However, I got a different answer for I(0) in each case. This tells me that your I values can't be right. You should show your work.

Also, although your method sounds like it should work, it isn't necessary to compute the total power to solve the problem. The difference in decibel levels tells you the ratio of the corresponding intensities. To see this, just write down an expresession for B1 - B2, and simplify it. Once you have I1/I2, you can just use the inverse-square law to figure out how much farther away you need to be for the intensity level to drop off by that factor.

1. What is the relationship between decibels and distance?

The relationship between decibels and distance is an inverse one. This means that as distance increases, decibels decrease, and as distance decreases, decibels increase. This is because sound waves spread out as they travel, causing a decrease in sound intensity.

2. How is the decibel scale used to measure sound intensity?

The decibel scale is a logarithmic scale that measures sound intensity. This means that each increase of 10 decibels represents a 10-fold increase in sound intensity. For example, a sound at 60 decibels is 10 times more intense than a sound at 50 decibels.

3. Can decibels be converted to a linear scale?

Yes, decibels can be converted to a linear scale using the formula 10^(dB/10). This allows for a more easily interpretable representation of sound intensity, as the linear scale is directly proportional to the actual sound pressure levels.

4. How does distance affect the perception of sound?

As distance increases, sound waves spread out and lose intensity, leading to a decrease in perceived loudness. This is why a sound that may be very loud up close may seem much quieter from a distance.

5. Is the relationship between decibels and distance the same for all sound levels?

No, the relationship between decibels and distance depends on the initial sound level. Higher sound levels will have a more drastic decrease in decibels as distance increases, while lower sound levels will have a less significant change in decibels with distance.