How to Calculate Energy Released in Nuclear Fusion

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter frazzle96
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Fusion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
frazzle96
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm doing some coursework on nuclear fusion, and am trying to calculate the energy released by fusing a tritium and a deuterium atom together. I used the equation:

( Σ mass (reactants) - Σ mass (products) ) x 931.5 MeV/amu = Binding energy.

and Deuterium + Tritium = Helium + neutron

I know the value should be about 17.58 MeV, however when I did it it came out as about 18.1.

The values I used are Triton: 3.0160492u , Deuteron: 2.0135532u , Helium nucleus: 4.0015061u and a neutron: 1.0086649u.

Thanks in advance

Frazer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're off by about 0.5 MeV, which is the mass of an electron. Are the values you quoted the mass of the atoms or the nuclei?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
ah, I think the value I used for tritium was the atomic mass rather than the mass of the nuclei... thanks very much!