Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate mass of closed Universe?

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    How does one integrate the mass density over a closed Universe (a 3-sphere?) to obtain the total mass of that Universe?

Is this the correct integral?

[tex]
    M = R(t)^3 \rho\int_0^1 4 \pi r^2 \frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-r^2}}
    [/tex]

where [itex]R(t)[/itex] is the radius of the Universe at cosmological time [itex]t[/itex].

By making the substitution [itex]r=\sin \chi[/itex] one finds that the above integral gives:

[tex]
    M = \pi^2 R(t)^3 \rho.
    [/tex]

According to wikipedia the hyperarea of a 3-sphere is [itex]2\pi^2 R^3[/itex] so I'm out by a factor of two.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
  5. Jul 29, 2013 #4
  6. Jul 29, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The former applies the cube to the brackets, the latter applies the cube to the function.
    ##R(t)^3=Rt^3##
    ##R^3(t)=\big [ R(t)\big ]^3##

compare: ##\cos(kx)^3## with ##\cos^3(kx)##
    Since it is also valid to write ##\cos kx## the first version does not make it clear what is intended.
    Is it the cosine of the cube of a product or the cube of the cosine of a product? OP only had one variable in the brackets, which gives notice to the reader.

... its really just a notation foible.
    I don't think anyone would get confused in such a small equation but in big long multiline equations it gets easier to be misread.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  7. Jul 29, 2013 #6
    I understand, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook