Argument that a maximum density Universe expands linearly

In summary, The Friedmann equation for a spatially flat Universe is given by $$\Big(\frac{\dot R}{R}\Big)^2=\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho$$ where ##R(t)## is the proper radius of some spherical volume with us at its center. Let us assume that there is a mass ##M## inside this spherical volume of radius ##R##. The density ##\rho## is then given by $$\rho=\frac{M}{(4/3)\pi R^3}.$$ Substituting the above expression for the density ##\rho## into the Friedmann equation gives $$\Big(\frac{\dot R}{R}\Big)^2=\frac{2 G
jcap
The Friedmann equation for a spatially flat Universe is given by
$$\Big(\frac{\dot R}{R}\Big)^2=\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho$$
where ##R(t)## is the proper radius of some spherical volume with us at its center.

Let us assume that there is a mass ##M## inside this spherical volume of radius ##R##. The density ##\rho## is then given by
$$\rho=\frac{M}{(4/3)\pi R^3}.$$
Substituting the above expression for the density ##\rho## into the Friedmann equation gives
$$\Big(\frac{\dot R}{R}\Big)^2=\frac{2 G M}{R^3}.$$
Now let us consider a Universe with a maximum density ##\rho##. The maximum density in a spherical volume of radius ##R## is realized by a Black hole whose Schwarzschild radius is equal to ##R##. Therefore we have the relationship
$$\frac{GM}{R}=\frac{c^2}{2}.$$ If we substitute the above relationship into the Friedmann equation we obtain
$$\Big(\frac{\dot R}{R}\Big)^2=\frac{c^2}{R^2}$$
which has the linear solution
$$R=c\ t.$$
Therefore it seems that a Universe with a maximum density ##\rho## expands linearly rather than exponentially as would be expected for a de Sitter Universe with a constant Planck scale density.

Is this reasoning correct?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Hi jcap:

I have not yet explored your math, but the title of the thread seems a bit off. The universe you are describing is not "maximum density". It is just flat. Also the word "observable" in an important omission.

Also, I am curious about where you found a Friedmann equation for the observable universe. The Friedmann equations I have seen are all related to the universe as a whole.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi jcap:

I have not yet explored your math, but the title of the thread seems a bit off. The universe you are describing is not "maximum density". It is just flat. Also the word "observable" in an important omission.

Also, I am curious about where you found a Friedmann equation for the observable universe. The Friedmann equations I have seen are all related to the universe as a whole.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi Buzz,

I am just assuming a spatially flat Universe for simplicity. The Friedmann equation I am quoting is expressed in terms of some arbitrary proper radius ##R(t)##, with units of length, rather than a dimensionless scale factor ##a(t)##. I think either are correct - it is just a matter of convention. I have chosen to use a proper radius ##R(t)## because I want to argue that the density of the Universe around us up to a radius ##R## cannot be larger than the density of a Black hole with Schwarzschild radius ##R##. When I use this condition I find that the Universe must be scaling linearly rather than exponentially as would be expected of a Planck density de Sitter Universe.

John

jcap said:
The Friedmann equation I am quoting is expressed in terms of some arbitrary proper radius R(t), with units of length, rather than a dimensionless scale factor a(t).
Hi jcap:

The R(t) observable universe radius you are using is not a "proper radius". It changes independently of the scale factor a. A proper radius scales with a.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi jcap:

The R(t) observable universe radius you are using is not a "proper radius". It changes independently of the scale factor a. A proper radius scales with a.

Regards,
Buzz

I have recast my argument entirely in terms of a spherical volume of proper radius ##R(t)## with us at its center. My maximum-density argument does not depend on the notion of an observable Universe.

jcap said:
I can make my argument without the notion of an observable Universe.
Hi jcap:

I think you have some misunderstandings about the first equation you are using. ρ is not a free variable. It is a specific value, ρc, the critical density, which makes the universe flat.

[1] ρc = 3 H2 / 8πG​
If you put that into your first equation you get
[2] (R'/R)2/H2 = 1​
(I used apostrophe rather than dot because I do not have convenient use of the dot notation.)
Since H is defined as
[3] H = (R'/R)​
[2] is the identity 1 = 1.

I suggest that to explore the behavior of a (or R) as a function of time it is simpler to use the other form of the Friedmann equation in
at the end of the Density parameter section.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

jcap said:

No. A black hole is a different spacetime geometry from an expanding FRW spacetime. You can't use formulas from one in the other.

jcap said:
exponentially as would be expected for a de Sitter Universe with a constant Planck scale density

A de Sitter universe has zero density of ordinary matter. It has a positive cosmological constant. That's not the same thing.

jcap said:

Aside from my previous comment, Buzz Bloom's point that the density is not a free variable is also correct. If you have zero cosmological constant (which your formulas in the OP assume), and a spatially flat universe, then the density as a function of time and ##R## as a function of time are both determined; there are no free parameters left at all.

jcap said:
Therefore it seems that a Universe with a maximum density ##\rho## expands linearly rather than exponentially as would be expected for a de Sitter Universe with a constant Planck scale density.
In addition to was said already it seems worthwhile to check any conclusion regarding the dynamics of the universe if it is consistent with the Friedmann equations.
The universe expands linearly under the condition ##\dot{a}=const.## which requires ##\rho{a^2}=const.## This doesn't make sense however, because ##\rho## is proportional to ##a^{-3}##. Adding ##\Lambda## doesn't make it better.

1. What is the argument for a maximum density Universe expanding linearly?

The argument is based on the concept of the critical density, which is the amount of matter needed in the universe to balance out the expansion rate. If the density of the universe exceeds the critical density, then the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse in on itself. However, if the density is below the critical density, the universe will continue to expand forever. This leads to the conclusion that a maximum density universe will expand linearly, as there is not enough matter to cause a collapse.

2. How is the maximum density of the Universe determined?

The maximum density of the universe is determined by the amount of matter present in the universe. This includes both visible matter, such as stars and galaxies, and dark matter, which is believed to make up a large portion of the universe's mass. The critical density is calculated by dividing the total mass of the universe by the volume of the observable universe.

3. Can the maximum density of the Universe change over time?

Yes, the maximum density of the universe can change over time as the amount and distribution of matter in the universe changes. In the past, the universe was much denser, but as it has expanded, the density has decreased. It is also possible that the addition of new matter, such as from the formation of new stars and galaxies, could change the maximum density in the future.

4. Are there any observations or evidence that support the argument for a maximum density Universe expanding linearly?

Yes, there are several observations and evidence that support this argument. One piece of evidence is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe. The pattern of this radiation supports the idea of a maximum density universe expanding linearly. Additionally, the observed expansion rate of the universe, as measured by the Hubble constant, is consistent with the idea of a maximum density universe expanding linearly.

5. What are the implications of a maximum density Universe expanding linearly?

The implications of this argument are significant for our understanding of the fate of the universe. If the maximum density of the universe truly leads to a linear expansion, then the universe will continue to expand forever. This means that the universe will eventually become cold and dark, as all stars burn out and there is no new source of energy. It also suggests that the universe will continue to become more and more spread out, with galaxies becoming further apart from each other.