How to Calculate Pressure/Gap in Heated Fastened Materials?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Dafe
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Hey,
let's say I have a pipe with a fastener screwed into it.
If they are of different materials, how can I find out the pressure/gap between the bolt and nut if they are heated?
I don't expect a complete solution of course, just a couple of hints to get me going :)

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would first make the assumption they the two pieces are not thread and have simple smooth cylindrical surfaces and are cylindrical in shape. I would also make the assumption they the don't expand longitudinally but just radially.

Wikipedia has all the equations you need and data for popular materials. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion

The "expanding ring" problem in which you essentially now have is well covered in most structural mechanics engineering textbooks. If the wikipedia site doesn't give you enough info, a descent text will.