How to Calculate Scattering Amplitude for a Particle in a 1/r^2 Potential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
neworder1
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use partial waves method to calculate scattering amplitude for a quantum particle scattering off the potential V(r) = a/r^2.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



To calculate phase shifts [tex]\delta_{l}[/tex] for each angular momentum's value l, it's necessary to solve Schrodnger's equation for the specified potential - but I'm unable to do it. I know that solution for a free particle can be expressed in terms of Bessel spherical functions, but in radial Schrödinger's equation we have the centrifugal term of the form l(l+1)/r^2, where l is an integer, not for arbitary potential a/r^2. Any hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The radial equation doesn't care whether or not l is an integer ...
 
Ok, but in the noninteger case the solutions are special functions, from which I don\t know how to calculate the phase factors in question.
 
The asymptotic properties of Bessel functions hold whether or not the index is an integer.