1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate scattering amplitude by delta function potential

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to give scattering amplitude f(θ) in Born approximation to the first order in the case of delta function scattering potential δ(r). The problem is in spherical coordinate and I'll give major equation concerned.

2. Relevant equations
    The equation for scattering amplitude is given by
    f(θ) = C ∫_0^∞ dr rV(r)sinqr
    where q is only a function of θ, so treat it as a constant in this formula, and C is just another constant, too.

The only issue left is to insert the delta function into the formula, and this is exactly the problem: no equation can be used in such case where the integral range begin just at zero.

3. The attempt at a solution

I look every textbook to find useful formulas, found nothing.
    And I tried to create a new function such that the integral range is from -∞ to ∞,
    then half the new integral to obtain a result, but it achieved nothing since it gives zero, so help me, please!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2
    Your problem is that x δ(x) is zero everywhere, so the integral vanishes. Are you sure that delta function is one-dimensional? That seems strange. Perhaps it's 3-dimensional instead. Try massaging the identity [tex] \int dV \delta^3(r) = 1 [/tex] to see the magic happen.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    that is not the scattering amplitude with any potential,use the three dimensional delta function and calculate the fourier transform of it to obtain amplitude.

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4
    Thank you for reply.
    By the way, how do you make the integral sign so large? Latex? I had tried to type in the Latex code but it didn't work.

6. Feb 8, 2013 #5
    This seems a better path, I'll try, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook