How to calculate slit separation?

In summary, a light of wavelength 680 nm produces an interference pattern on a screen 2.0 m away, with the fourth order fringe located 38 mm from the central fringe. Using the equation d * sin(theta) = m * lambda, a calculated angle of 1.1 degrees leads to a slit separation of 1.41 x 10^-4 m. However, the given answer in the book is .085 mm, which may indicate an error.
ipodmypod300

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 680 nm falls on two slits and produces an interference pattern in which the fourth order fringe is 38 mm from the central fringe on a screen 2.0 m away. What is the separation of the two slits?

Homework Equations

d * sin(theta) = m * lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the slit separation using the equation above but I'm not sure about the angle. Using tan^-1(.038/2), I got an angle of 1.1 degrees which then led me to a d value of 1.41 x 10^-4 m, but the answer given by the book is .085 mm so I'm just completely lost at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also get a similar answer as yours.

blue_leaf77 said:
I also get a similar answer as yours.
Perhaps the book is wrong or something then.

1. How do I calculate the slit separation for a double-slit experiment?

To calculate the slit separation for a double-slit experiment, you will need to know the wavelength of the light being used, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen where the interference pattern is observed. You can use the formula d = λD/d, where d is the slit separation, λ is the wavelength, D is the distance between the slits and the screen, and d is the distance between the slits.

2. What is the relationship between slit separation and the interference pattern produced?

The interference pattern produced by a double-slit experiment is directly related to the slit separation. The smaller the slit separation, the wider the interference pattern will be, and vice versa. This is because a smaller slit separation allows for more diffraction, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

3. How does the number of slits affect the calculation of slit separation?

The number of slits does not affect the calculation of slit separation. The formula for calculating slit separation, d = λD/d, is applicable for both double-slit and multiple-slit setups. However, the number of slits will affect the resulting interference pattern, as more slits will result in a more complex interference pattern.

4. Can the slit separation be adjusted to produce different interference patterns?

Yes, the slit separation can be adjusted to produce different interference patterns. As mentioned before, a smaller slit separation will result in a wider interference pattern while a larger slit separation will result in a narrower interference pattern. Adjusting the slit separation can also change the spacing of the fringes in the interference pattern.

5. Is there a limit to how small or large the slit separation can be for a double-slit experiment?

There is no limit to how small or large the slit separation can be for a double-slit experiment. However, there are practical limitations based on the equipment being used. For example, if the slit separation is too small, it may be difficult to accurately measure the distance between the slits. Similarly, if the slit separation is too large, the interference pattern may become too spread out to be easily observed.